cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 backup failing, need debug logging

lantran55
Level 3

Our backups will fail every month or so.  The error message is below:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of System Reserved (*:\), (C:\), d-drive (D:\), e-drive(E:\).

Error E0BB00B5: Snapshot error

Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'OS error 2147754760.'. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

I have googled and searched the Symantec forums regarding these error messages and nothing works. Our VSS writers are all stable and in good condition, the shadow copies are only on C: and they have been creating fine (7 am and 12 pm every weekday, 50 GB of storage, oldest copy is successfully deleted).

Windows Small Business Server 2011 (which is Windows Server 2008 R2).

SSR 2013 Small Business Server Edition 11.0.2.49853

Our backups are on weekdays, start at 9 PM and finish around 6:50 AM. We are backing up to external USB drives, a different one for each weekday.

Nothing seems to be causing these failures; it happens with different USB drives, and with no clearly connected entries in the Event Viewer that have happened each time.

I can't tell at what point in the backup process the backup is failing, that is, what file the backup fails on. How do I turn on enhanced logging for SSR 2013 so I can see what files are successfully copied during the backup process and at what time? I have only so far found instructions for Backup Exec, not SSR 2013.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

FYI

Debugging is always on for SSR, there is nothing that needs to be enabled. That said, the debug logs (.dbg files) are encrypted and can only be viewed by Symantec staff - hence the need for a support case.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

You might want to consider opening a support case since there is quite alot of information to sort through here but if you would like to look at the debugging the SupportGather tool generates, it is usually located in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Utility. 
 note: A case number entry is required but you can make up one of your own if you don't have a case opened. After it is finished you can look at the debugging information in C:\Users\*user_name*\AppData\Local\Temp

refer here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54539

lantran55
Level 3

Thanks, I am running that now!

Thanks, I have created a ticket (09214928). 

I need the debugging to occur while the backups are running.

criley
Employee Accredited

FYI

Debugging is always on for SSR, there is nothing that needs to be enabled. That said, the debug logs (.dbg files) are encrypted and can only be viewed by Symantec staff - hence the need for a support case.

lantran55
Level 3

OK, thanks. It looks like we cannot purchase support for our product (SSR 2013 Small Business Server Edition 11.0.x) because it does not have any customer support contracts availabe as it is slated to be discontinued. We will have to upgrade to SSR 2013 R2 in order to purchase support.

I hope that upgrading alone will solve the problem. Do you know if we receive any period of customer support when we upgrade to R2? I was hoping there was some clause that says you get 30 days of customer support or something when you upgrade.  Thanks!

criley
Employee Accredited

Do you know if we receive any period of customer support when we upgrade to R2?

Please contact Customer Support (https://support.symantec.com/en_US/contact-us.html) - they should be able to answer this for you.

lantran55
Level 3

Thanks.