cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 "Symantec System Recovery service terminated unexpectedly"

Coldforest
Level 3

Hi,

I've been using SSR 2013 on my Win7/64 desktop for a couple years now and it's been working fine. I recently (six weeks ago) upgraded to v11.0.2.49853 (which is SSR 2013 SP2 I believe) after installing a Synology DS414slim appliance (to offload some of the internal desktop RAID1 storage). This device is set up as an iSCSI target, which was necessary to get SSR to see it as a source device for backup. SSR backs up this source to a NAS destination (a Seagate BlackArmor appliance).

This seemed to work fine initially but lately (the last month) I've been getting vprosvc.exe terminations whenever I try to backup this drive (this happens consistently and may have coincided with the SP2 update?):

Faulting application name: VProSvc.exe, version: 11.0.2.49853, time stamp: 0x52ad3597
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18869, time stamp: 0x556366f2
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000bfc22
Faulting process id: 0x2b30
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0ce5fda3c58c4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Agent\VProSvc.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 93b31272-3b37-11e5-82d1-180373b39665

What can I do to troubleshoot and/or fix this?

Note: backup jobs for the internal desktop drives is working fine. Other accesses to the iSCSI drive on the DS414slim seem to work fine (i.e., Explorer and other applications that use data on this drive all seem fine).

Thanks in advance,

-David

PS: I've been wondering why there's been no update to SSR 2013 for a while (this software was originally released way back in 2012 I believe). After browsing around the site I see that there is an SSR 2013 *R2* version. What is this? Is it different than SSR 2013 SP2? Can I upgrade to this version?

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

In regards to SSR 2013R2, it is a full software release and a 2013R2 license key is needed.  If you have active maintenance you should be eligible for this upgrade. please refer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH225253  

Coldforest
Level 3

Thanks for your response. In terms of 2013R2 I'm thinking that, absent maintenance (of which mine expired some time ago), there must be upgrading pricing if one purchases R2 when R1 is already licensed. No?

Regardless of the R2 pricing question I'm still hopeful that someone can help me with the continual, and abnormal, VproSvc.exe termination. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

lmosla
Level 6

Have you tried a repair on SSR? and see if this is helpful http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72138

Coldforest
Level 3

I can try this, but it references a problem that I'm not experiencing (I have no problem bringing up the console and, indeed, running backups with non-iSCSI source drives). I'm specifically looking for feedback on the particular error case referenced in my original note.

Coldforest
Level 3

Further information on the failure. Invariably the SSR browser (progress dialog during backup) fails with a "remote procedure call failed" error. I believe this is related to the nearly simultaneous (not sure which comes first) entry in the Window event log:

"The Symantec System Recovery service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service." (Event 7031)

Could something like the following be related: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH73687.html

It seems somehow more specific that this since this only seems to occur when I'm backing up from the DS414slim iSCSI target and not when backing up the internal drives.

I also found this: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ssr-2013-r2-recurring-service-crashes but this thread never ended in any kind of resolution.

How should I proceed in order to try to find a solution here?

Coldforest
Level 3

Unfortunately I was never able to get this resolved (and it seems no one here had any ideas). I was however able to get things working again by installing the SSR 2013 R2 trial. No problems once this was installed (except see last paragraph below).

However, installing this *removed* my previous SSR 2013 SP2 installation (?!). Completely gone and with no indication that the trial would do this. Now, obviously, I have no need for that anymore since it was broken and VProSvc.exe would invariably always crash. But this was working for a long time and I was hoping to find a solution and get it fixed. Especially now that it looks like I will need to purchase (at full price :() R2. Is there a way to get the old installation back (without completely re-installing both the base product and the incremental liveupdates)? And again, is there no way to get some kind of discount on the full R2 price given my previous installation of SSR and the sudden problems I'd been experiencing?

Finally, the R2 backup definitions don't appear to be allowing me to select incremental recovery point sets. Is this a limitation of the trial software?