cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 - support for Windows 8.1/2012 R2 available now!

criley
Employee Accredited

Service Pack 2 for Symantec System Recovery (SSR) 2013 will be available soon and, amongst other things, will bring support for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

I cannot provide an exact date for the release of SP2 at this stage but this thread will be updated with details (release notes etc) when SP2 is available.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

61 REPLIES 61

unpeujuste
Level 4

Hello!

I was using SSR2013 v 11.0.1.47662 with Windows 8.1 32 bits since january 2014 without any trouble. Last friday I decided to make a LiveUpdate. Version 11.02.49853 was installed and, now, nothing works ! ! When I start the program I receive: "No possibility of finding the changes since the last session" Error E1AD27F0."Can't find the letters of available disks". Of course it is "Not possible to determine the state". (excuse  the approximate translations  ! ). Could you propose something to solve this problem ...without restauring to the last version 11.01.47662, using my personnalized SSRDisk ! ! Thank you very much. MR:-)

criley
Employee Accredited

If a reboot does not fix this, please open a case with support so that it can be looked at in more detail. The error suggests a problem with enumerating the disks. Sometimes a simple reboot fixes this.

unpeujuste
Level 4

Hello! Chris Riley,

Let me explain somewhat more my problem:

Since july 2013 I use SSR 2013 SP1 with Windows 8.1. THe SP1 is not always fiable because 1- sometimes I receive "Can't collect information from the recovering service on Romane-PC". (Romane-PC is the name of my PC). Then if I attempt to "Spread out the agent" I can't answer the two questions related with the administrator: Windows knows me as "Romane" with a password but SSR 2013 does't accept and gives an error E0D3EBC0. 2- sometimes I can recuperate SSR 2013 simply by re-booting.

So I was very happy to see that a SP2 was arrived. But the result is peor ! SSR 2013 SP2 annouces: "Can't find the changes since last session, Error E1AD27F0", "Can't find the available disks letters". Fortunately I have a personnalized Symante System Restauration disk and so I can return to the previous situation, with SP1. I have opened a case with the support but I don't received any reaction since ten days.

Thank you for your attention. MR:-)

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Chris,

FInally SSR 2013 SP2 is out. I'm so happy cos i have loads of systems with Win 8.1 and 2012 R2.

At list the issues i had are been resolved.

gsuburban
Level 3

I have windows x64 8.1 on an SSD and downloaded the "trial" SSR 2013 Desktop by symantec's instructions and link.  Installed and the recovery point browers works but not the SSR software. When clicking on the SSR icon or when booting/logging into windows, the SSR 2013 splash window appears for a minutes then this vpro error window appears and the splash dissapears. No icon in the system tray shows up. 

I did some reading and find SP2 allows win 8.1 support.  Installed that...no changes.

Doesn't Symantec have a webpage that has win 8.1 x64 supported SSR 2013 install packages ? I have no idea if the download was an updated version or the old 2013 that is not supported in win 8.1.

Also, I contacted symantec about this "trialware" defect and was told, since I didn't have a retail copy of SSR 2013 with key code/license, no one can help.  Well, if the trial copy isn't satisfactory, why would anyone invest any further, especially with all the errors I'm reading about with Win 8.1?

Can't figure what is wrong...I know how to install software and use them...been doing it for decades.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried run as admin?

gsuburban
Level 3

Interesting idea but since I am logged in as an admin, wouldn't that be enough?  Also, the startup process shouldn't need elevated priviliges to get the system process working. I installed it without have to prove admin priviliges.

I've used ghost 15 for years and base on the video for SSR 2013, it appear to have similar interfaces and function. 

gsuburban
Level 3

Interesting idea but since I am logged in as an admin, wouldn't that be enough?  Also, the startup process shouldn't need elevated priviliges to get the system process working. I installed it without have to prove admin priviliges.

I've used ghost 15 for years and base on the video for SSR 2013, it appear to have similar interfaces and function. 

rkholter
Not applicable

I am on a Windows Server 2012 r2 running a virtual server of the same.  I am trying to install the SSP SP2 edition.  I can mount the ISO file and start the DVD without an issue.  The splash screen starts and the initial browser window comes up.  In the installation instructions it states to select Installation and then install SSP S2. 

My Problem, I do not have an Installation link to select.  I have verified I meet all the driver requirements with the driver verification.  I have verified everything (,Net files) is loaded as required as well as meeting the system requirements. 

I have attempted to download the file from multiple links as well as trying to install the software with the Management interface.  When using the management interface it will not let me go past the verification process because it shows SSP SP2 being compatible with WIN SRVR 8 R2 - and it recognizes the fact I have 2012 r2, but will not let me go farther.

Let me also add that I obtained the NFR version from TechSoup so I get no true technical support for the application. 

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Run as Admin?

unpeujuste
Level 4

Problem solved

Hello !

Since the help of the expert gentleman Sir Biaye Leye, (who worked three hours on my computer !), I have nomore problem with SSR 2013. Now It is used with Windows 8.1 SP KB2919355. Thank you for your attention. MR:-)

gsuburban
Level 3

Symantec,

What is the problem with SSR 2013 and Windows 8.1?  The forums indicate too many cases of problems for this Desktop back up software to be ready for release to the public.  I have the same issue. Recover point browser works just fine but SSR won't start up and run.

I obtained the correct 2013 exe, installled SP2 and still, the same error. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times with the same concern. Does Sysmantec not have a new install .exe that includes SP2 so customers experience a simple process?

What takes the place of Ghost for imaging backups for windows 8.1? 

gsuburban
Level 3

What did 3 hours do?  Seems worthless to have software that requires that for every customer.

criley
Employee Accredited

Recover point browser works just fine but SSR won't start up and run.

Can you be more specific please? What is the exact issue/error you are seeing?

Does Sysmantec not have a new install .exe that includes SP2 so customers experience a simple process?

Yes. You can download it here from our trialware site:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=92533

What takes the place of Ghost for imaging backups for windows 8.1?

SSR.

gsuburban
Level 3

Recover point browser works just fine but SSR won't start up and run.

Can you be more specific please? What is the exact issue/error you are seeing?

See attached screen prints.  I installed again today and right clicked on the "browser.exe" as admin.  Same errors as previously.

criley
Employee Accredited

So it looks like the main console is not working and the error suggests a possible permissions issue with the registry.

This is going to need a support case for further investigation. Can you please log a case with Tech Support.

gsuburban
Level 3

Support case:  07165857

unpeujuste
Level 4

unpeujuste,

I am very surprised by these recriminations about SSR 2013. I use version 11.0.2.49853 with Windows 8.1 32 bits. Yes indeed I was twice obliged to call Symantec support for help: I have a Symantec Support Contract nammed "Essential Support" which seems to be very effective: try it ! MR:-)

BJB
Level 5

I have 2 questions on SSR2013 versioning.

I have read all of this, and still confused as to how to determine what version I am on and what I should download.   My "help>about" version in-program for SSR2013 is 11.02.49853.  My current bootup disk ISO was created from file SSR11.0249853_AllWin_64bit_English_SRD Only. Both work fine in my win7 64 bit environment.  Other than accessing certain USB3 drives with the bootup disc.

When I go to symaccount "my files" section it says the current file available is "Sym_System_recovery_2013_11.0.2.49853_Multilingual_Product_Zip.

So.....my question is do all of the above files already include SP2 and are they the most current, and is my PC already at the most current rev or do you install SP2 patch on top of this as I do not see SP2 in my version number)?

As an aside, it seems it is time for a new, full version release for those of us that have renewed support for the last and next few years.

Separate question.  My other box has version 11.0.1.47662, which is obviously an older version.  Do I install the patch on this or should I install the new, full version on top of it?

Thanks!

BJB

gsuburban
Level 3

Seems as if Symantec is using their trial software as a method to sign up trial users with their support subscription. Why?  SSR 2013 is very confusing regarding the many versions and Service Packs and it's difficult failed uses with Windows 8.1. If you contact Symantec about this, the first thing they ask for is a key code. On a trial? There isn't any key code with trialware so next they say, "support must have a key code" and that "you can buy one here".

I moved over to Acronis Backup and Recovery 11.5...too bad as SSR is very similar to Norton Ghost 15, something that works very nicely with up to windows 7.  Symantec isn't helping anyone with trialware and since a few years ago, they design bloatware more than any other similar software maker.