cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR backing up Hyper-V nodes, not VMs

SSB_WIND_SYSTEM
Level 2

We have a five node Hyper-V cluster with several cluster shared volumes. We are backing up the VMs through the Backup Exec 2010 R3 Hyper-V Agent. I'm now looking for a possibility to backup the Hyper-V nodes themselves to be able to restore them very fast in case of a failure because installing from bare metal takes us a lot of time.

I'm running System Recovery Server Edition 2011 on several other physical machines successfully.

Is this scenario supported and will I have to buy the virtual edition of SSR even if I want to back up the hyper-V host only?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

I believe this should be supported, yes. The following article may help:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/symantec-system-recovery-2011-cluster-and-san-environments

Is this scenario supported and will I have to buy the virtual edition of SSR even if I want to back up the hyper-V host only?

You don't need the virtual edition in this scenario. You just need 1 x server edition for each host server.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

I believe this should be supported, yes. The following article may help:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/symantec-system-recovery-2011-cluster-and-san-environments

You don't need the virtual edition in this scenario. You just need 1 x server edition for each host server.

Hope that helps.

SSB_WIND_SYSTEM
Level 2

I thinks that is what I looked for :-)...Do you know about any limitations having a Backup Exec Agent and SSR running on one Hyper-V node?

Would you be so kind to clarify for me what makes SSR server edition differ from the virtual edition? This is really not getting clear in the product information!!!

Thanks a lot for your help! 

criley
Employee Accredited

The virtual edition is just a cost-effective way of protecting your guest VMs (it gives you licenses to install SSR on an unlimited number of guest machines per Hyper-V host) - there is no technical difference between this and the server edition.

Please mark post as solved if this has answered all your questions.