cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR mit wechselnden USB Platten

VB_Techniker
Level 2

Hi,

ich habe gerade ein kleines Problem mit dem System Recovery 2013 in Verbindung mit externen USB Festplatten.

Das Ziel ist auf die externe Platte zu sichern, das geht auch ohne Probleme. Allerdings wird diese Platte regelmäßig gewechselt um die Sicherung außer Haus aufbewahren zu können. Jetzt ist es aber so das jedes Mal wenn die Platte gewechselt wird in dem Auftrag das Backup Ziel neu definiert werden muss. Kann man das nicht irgendwie einstellen das er einfach nur das Laufwerk X:\ nimmt?

Alle Platten wurden bereits benutzt und sind System Recovery auch als Backup  Ziel bekannt, aber automatisch verwenden tut er sie nicht.

Vor ab, ein sichern ins Netz geht dort nicht, ist nur ein einfacher Server und soll möglichst wenig Umstand machen.

Für Tipps und Infos bin ich echt dankbar smiley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

The issue with rotating multiple drives for a single backup job is already being looked at for the next version of SSR. Whether or not you'll be able to use a single drive letter, I'm not sure about.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As per your query ,

I have just a little problem with the System Recovery 2013 in conjunction with external USB hard drives.

The goal is to secure to the external disk, which also goes without problems. However, this plate is to be changed regularly to keep the fuse out of the house. Now it is so that every time when the disc is changed, the backup destination must be redefined in the order. Can not that kind of set he just the X: \ drive takes?

All plates have been used and are known as System Recovery backup destination, but it does not automatically use it.

Before starting, a secure on the net is not there, is just a simple server and to do as little as possible circumstance.

For tips and information, I am really grateful

Solution :  It seems you have configured offsite copy and once the USB device is disconnected , the destination has to be re - defined.

Please refer : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO48438 and http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO48608

Hope this Helps!

VB_Techniker
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

I don't use the Offsite Copy Feature. It is only one external Hard disk connected to the server, but this drive will be changed frequently.

SSR uses unique names for each drive, in this case I have to redefine the backup target on each change. The solution I look for is to use only the Drive letter, not the unique name.

Maybe this makes it a little clearer.

Sorry for my bad English.

criley
Employee Accredited

Just to be sure that I understand what you are doing correctly....

You have one backup job which uses one external disk. That disk is removed frequently. Is this correct?

If yes, you should just give the drive an alias within SSR. The backup job should then be set to use that alias. This means that even if the drive letter changes, the backup will still run.

Does that help?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks Chris , I was about to explain the same.

VB_Techniker
Level 2

Hi, yes almost.

I have one Backup Job, does a full Backup each night to an external USB Drive. So the tricky part is that we use three different USB Disks for this one Job. The Drive changes each Week, so we have one Drive out of the Office and one as reserve.

Each time I change the current external drive to one of the other, I have to edit the Backup Job and point to the new disk. Doesn't matter the Disk was already used before for the same job. All Disks has an alias, but the names are unique so there never equal.

Normally it’s not a big deal to change the Job to the next drive in list, but the change is done from the customer and he doesn’t want to edit the Job each time.

Hopefully I hit the point now :)

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, so you are using multiple disks as a single destination? This is going to cause problems and is currently not supported or recommended by Symantec.

A better solution, considering that you have 3 disks, would be:

Use 1 drive as the main backup destination and use the other 2 as offsite copy destinations. The 2 drives being used for offsite copy can be rotated and taken offsite as and when required.

VB_Techniker
Level 2

Hmm. OK thanks for the Information.

Then I have to change the configuration and use the Offsite Feature.

Maybe you can suggest this as a Feature to use only Driveletter for simple Backup Task and/or Disk Rotation.

Best wishes,

Volker

criley
Employee Accredited

The issue with rotating multiple drives for a single backup job is already being looked at for the next version of SSR. Whether or not you'll be able to use a single drive letter, I'm not sure about.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s)