cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR offsite problems

shahar
Level 4

Hi all,

I asked before about this problem, and thought it was solved, but I have it again:

We have 2 computers which run backup jobs via the network (the backup destinations are attached to a remote computer).

The regular backups runs o.k. (at least most of the times), but we have problems with the offsite copy: in one computer it's not performed at all, and in the second one, only 2 out of the 4 partitions are backed up.

We get the following error message:

Error EC8F1F5B: Cannot create offsite copy for job Drive Backup of <backup_name>
Error EC8F1F5D: Cannot create offsite copy <backup_file_name>
Error E7D1001E: Unable to read from file.
Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The specified network name is no longer available.'
Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'Unspecified error.' (UMI:V-281-3215-8027)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery

I don't think this problem has anything to do with the firewall or the anti-virus, since it occures even when I turned them off. I tried to google it, but just got confused.

Anyone has an idea ?

Thank you

25 REPLIES 25

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Sounds just like plain network errors.

shahar
Level 4

I understand, but how these problems can be resolved ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

What is the offsite target - a NAS device ? You could try to set the SSR performance reg keys: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH171456

shahar
Level 4

The offsite target is an external disk.

There are actually 4 reg files in this link . I used the first one, and I'll let you know tomorrow if it helps.

Thank you.

shahar
Level 4

The status of the offsite copies looks better now, but still not all the offsite files have been created, and there are error messages. Maybe the reason is that there was too much work to copy all the missing files from the past days. I'll watch the backup jobs in the next days and update you.

Thank you 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yes, please keep us posted.

shahar
Level 4

I've  set the SSR performance reg keys, and I also changed the advanced option to divide into smaller files to simplify archiving, but still the problem persists. Both computers perform only a partial offsite copy.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Thank you

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

How big are the failing recovery points?

shahar
Level 4

The biggest are about 15 G. (after changing the advanced option to divide into smaller files of 5 G, I got in some cases 3 files instead of one).

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

How fast is the connection to the offsite backup location?

shahar
Level 4

I'm not sure what you mean by "how fast". This is a usb 3 connection.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

ok, i thought it was a network connection,

shahar
Level 4

Markus, maybe I didn't understand you. The offsite drive is connected by usb, but to another computer. Namely, the computers having these problems are connected to a third computer, and the external offsite drive is connected to this third computer. All the computers are connected to each other by a router.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So between the source computer and the other computer where the backup destination is attached via USB, there is a 100MBIT connection?

shahar
Level 4

yes, and of course don't forget there is also a router between all these computers.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, I see. Do you have one backup job for all partitions?

shahar
Level 4

Yes. You think that having a separate job for each partition may help ?

If so, should I schedule the jobs to different times or they can run simultaneously ?

Thank you

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Different times.

shahar
Level 4

Markus, thank you for your support. However, it seems that this solution worsens our problem.

First, I chose to run one backup job for the system reserved partition and C partition together because I was advised by the software to do so.

In both computers, only a part of the jobs were successful: out of 3 jobs (for C, D, and E partitions) 2 were successful in one computer, and in the second computer only one job was successful. The second problem is that the computer which had a successful backup of the C and the system reserved job had a problem in the offsite copy (only the system reserved partition backup job was successful, but C failed).

Do you have another idea ?

Thank you