cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR11 remote restore files?

Katastrof
Level 3

Okay.

Got my company to buy the new software because the box we had our old BESR on was failing.  It was pretty good software so we decided to stick with the brand.

Now I'm finding that I cannot remotely restore files.  What gives?  Do I have to install more than the agent on every machine I may ever have to restore a file to or is there some way to do it remotely?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

In that case you can use either GRO (Granular Restore Option) or the recovery point browser on ANY machine where a full copy of BESR installed. Obviously this machine needs access to the location where the recovery points are stored.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You need to install the Lights out restore option, see http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH75968 page 170 !

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you be more specific please. What exactly are you trying to restore?

Katastrof
Level 3

Markus)  Based on what I'm reading here I have to install the full client on every machine I want to recover a file for.  I do not wish to do this.

Chris)  I would like to restore a file using the client on my centrally managed server.  The situation I am planning for would be along the lines of an employee unintentionally deletes the contents of a folder, forgets, and a few weeks later I have to restore the folder on a server that I just have the agent software on.

criley
Employee Accredited

What type of backups are you doing: recovery point (volume-level) or file/folder?

Katastrof
Level 3

I am occasionally doing independent recovery points and doing recovery point sets on a daily basis.

criley
Employee Accredited

In that case you can use either GRO (Granular Restore Option) or the recovery point browser on ANY machine where a full copy of BESR installed. Obviously this machine needs access to the location where the recovery points are stored.

Katastrof
Level 3

If I change the way I back up can I avoid putting the full client on every server?

criley
Employee Accredited

If I change the way I back up can I avoid putting the full client on every server?

You don't need the full client on every server. What makes you think that?

Katastrof
Level 3

Misread your previous reply.  I have been looking in the wrong spot the whole time.

Thanks!