cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR2011 v2011_10.0.2.4414 Management Solution on 2008 R2

mhbkpk
Level 2

Currently at 2011_10.0.0.39952.  Download 2011_10.0.2.4414 64 bit version.  Run setup says "Installation on DC is not supported".  Downloaded the 32 bit version and run setup and get "Cannot run 32 bit installation, run 64 bit version.  Cannot find any documentation to tell me how I am suppose to install this Version which is Svc Pk 2. 

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

You cannot install the management solution on a Domain Controller.

See Page 5 of the SCL:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157280

mhbkpk
Level 2

Maybe I need a explanation on how to install this product correctly then.  As I mentioned it was installed the first of this year on our domain controller and on our exchange server.  The folder holding the install that was used  is titled Sym_System_Recovery_2011_10.0.0.39952_Multilingual_Product.  Just re-newed our support and went out to see about downloading the newest version.  Had a choice of the downloading the Recovery Disk (downloaded English) and the Management Solution.  Downloaded both.  My understanding was that the Recovery Disk is only used when you are doing a full recovery because of a disaster to the system and that I need the Management Solution to get to this newer version.  Please explain the difference between the two.  Am I suppose to be using the "Sym_System_Recovery_2011_10.0.2.44074_English_Recovery_Disk_Only" file for installation? Do I have to create a disk and start my system using it to install or can I do as was done before (unzip and run the install from the hard drive).  Sorry for these questions but I spent a lot of time searching the Symantec site and trying to find information as to what, when, why and how and never found anything helpful.

criley
Employee Accredited

It sounds like you have the wrong download then.

The management solution is just that; a management tool to manage your entire SSR environment.

You need to download the server version of the product. The filename will be along the lines of:

Sym_System_Recovery_2011_10.0.2.44074_Multilingual_Product.iso

NOTE: you can always use LiveUpdate to update to SP2 level.

mhbkpk
Level 2

The only downloads that show up when I used fileconnect are Management Solution and the Recovery Disk.  I have ran the live update from the product and it says it is up to date.  It lists the 2011.10.0.0.39952 version number.  So does this mean that possible my product was renewed for support incorrectly.  Can anything be determined from comparing the version numbers?  2011_10.0.2.4413 is the management solution and 2011_10.0.2.44074 is the Recovery Disk version.  Is the Management Solution used to control and administer backups for the computers attached to the network? Thank you for helping me understand what is going on here.

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, the management solution is a centralized management tool for your SSR environment. More details here:

http://www.symantec.com/system-recovery-server-edition/agents-options-add-ons

I have no idea why you don't see the server edition of the product in FileConnect. Please contact our customer care team about this.

You can always download a trialware copy of the product to workaround the problem with FileConnect:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=88724