cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR2013 DeskTop-Creating SRD-Am I On The Right Track To Success?

DFGoode
Level 3

I have purchased SRS2013 (and activated).  My computer is a UEFI with GPT initialized hard drives.  I have a 1TB USB Drive also initialize GPT.  I have saved serveral backup jobs on this USB Drive.  I have made a System Recovery USB for my system.  It boots to a recovery environment and recognizes the backup jobs stored on teh 1TB USB Drive but, it labels a "target drive as "Invalid.""  I don't think that as such, a recover of the backup job could go forward. I guess that I need to understand this better, so I ask your indulgence in considering the following questions:

1.  Will I need to update the SRD (USB)  with Broadcom WLAN Drivers and Broadcom Wireless Adapter drivers for the recovery to be able to recognize my "C" partition as the target?

2.  Will the SRD (USB) work with my UEFI with GPT initialized hard drives-I have read conflicting accounts?  I have created a SanDisk USB that boots!!!

3.  Is there any issues with the 1TB USB backup drive being initialized GPT?  Should be a viable storage location for SRS2013 backup and recovery storage?

4.  Where can I find a tutorial on the two (2) Broadcom drivers (above) vis a vis the SRD?  How do I get the 32 bit drivers and how do I copy such to the SRD/USB that I have created?  I am lost on what the driver softward actually is and how to carrry out the driver installation on the SRD/USB?

Thanks you all and any help with the above is appreciated.  Thanks.

Thanks for your input, thought and time!  Be well hand happy!!!.

3 REPLIES 3

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

1.  Will I need to update the SRD (USB)  with Broadcom WLAN Drivers and Broadcom Wireless Adapterdrivers for the recovery to be able to recognize my "C" partition as the target?

You cannot add wireless drivers (not supported by WinPE 4.0. The Broadcom drivers are built into the SRD. If you boot up and the network is not seen, then try adding them through the SRD creation wizard. But first try to boot to the SRD without customization. 

2.  Will the SRD (USB) work with my UEFI with GPT initialized hard drives-I have read conflicting accounts?  I have created a SanDisk USB that boots!!!

Yes, it is supported with SSR 2013. You will be able to save images to your SanDisk, but if you are booting off of that SanDIsk drive, creating and restoring images may not work properly, as this is not a 'fixed disk'.

3.  Is there any issues with the 1TB USB backup drive being initialized GPT?  Should be a viable storage location for SRS2013 backup and recovery storage?

Yes, that should not be a problem. If the USB drive is created with the new 4096 sector size, ensure that it is set up as a direct backup via drive letter when saving backups to this location, and not set up as a share.

4.  Where can I find a tutorial on the two (2) Broadcom drivers (above) vis a vis the SRD?  How do I get the 32 bit drivers and how do I copy such to the SRD/USB that I have created?  I am lost on what the driver softward actually is and how to carrry out the driver installation on the SRD/USB?

If you want to load 32-bit drivers, you need to use the 32-bit SRD. However, remember that the drivers you use in SRD have nothing to do with the drivers that Windows uses. In other words, if you restore a Windows 2003 32-bit system from the SRD, you could still use the 64-bit SRD for the restore. The SSR 2013 SRD is based in WinPE 4.0, so you would obtain the Windows 8 / Server 2012 drivers for your NIC. 

El_Bandi
Not applicable

SSR 2013 doesn't work windows 8.1 ? only windows 8 or I have failure...

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

A future release of SSR is planned which will fully support Windows 8.1. At this time, I don't have a date of when that will be.