cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR2013 System Recovery Disc took me to new windows setup?

BJB
Level 5

I am on windows 10 but the dropdown would not allow that selection.

I tried to bootup a laptop with the SSR2013 system recover disc/boot disc/rescue disc - whatever we call it now - (which I have done many times on many systems with prior versions) and I have never seen this.  SSR2013R2 64 Bit made January 2016. 

Now this bootup apparently the laptop did not grab the DVD which can happen based on machine bootup settings. But here is the strange part. I think the boot disc uses some Win PE OS but here is what I saw. It booted up, and it said "preparing windows" ...which made me say, what?... and then I was staring at a generic new windows startup desktop!!!! What???!!! So not the SSR2013 menu, not my desktop, a generic windows background and the the cortana box there (which I had removed) and a few icons.

Now I shutdown, unplugged everything and booted off the hard disk and I thankfully had my regular windows desktop back.

So here's my question. Does that make any sense? I also had a USB hard drive attached at the time but can't imagine that would have done anything.

In my past the machine would either boot to the SRD or to the PC's windows hard driver. Nothing like this.

BJB

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

So here's my question. Does that make any sense? I also had a USB hard drive attached at the time but can't imagine that would have done anything.

Obvious question; what is on that USB hard drive? Sounds like it actually booted from another OS that resides on that disk..

If you try again, but first remove the above USB drive, do you see the same issue or not?

I know it makes no sense....after using Ghost and SSR2013 for a decade....

Only thing on the USB was misc. files and a backup I just made of Docs, music, videos and desktop.  Absolutely no OS.

And no, the desktop it displayed was not the desktop that was copied to the USB as that was just shortucts and a few files that the user had on their desktop.

I probably should have poked around a bit more but kind of freaked out and just shutdown, pulled the DVD out and USB and rebooted.

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

So if you plug the USB drive in again, then boot from the SRD again.... do you see same issue or not?