cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR2013R2 Powershell Error

Krugler
Not applicable

WIndows 2008 SP2 - SSR 2013 R2 (Eval)

trying to get a job that I created to fire with the RunJobNow.PS1   (BTW, would be an idea to add the following to report what job ID's for each job)

catch
    {
        $v2iAuto.ImageJobs
        Write-Host "Failed to get the image job by specified job ID with an Exception..."

So the problem, I can run the job through the GUI, but when I try to fire the Powershell script, I get the following:

System.Management.Automation.MethodInvocationException Exception calling "DoImageJob" with "2" argument(s): "Result (0xe4f3000f 33 SYMTRACK_ERROR_VSS_WRITER_FAILURE Args [2] Arg (0xbab000d 28 System Writer NPS VSS Writer) Arg (0xbab0006 0x800423f4);)<18 1.0-Backup-Image-* >"

So I check the SSR logs, and there is the following:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Projects.
Error E4F3000F: Unexpected VSS writer error. Check the application event log for writer specific error. Failed VSS writers: System Writer
NPS VSS Writer. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery

So I go to the event log, and under the application log is the same similar error:

Error 100:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: MCF.
Error E4F3000F: Unexpected VSS writer error. Check the application event log for writer specific error. Failed VSS writers: System Writer
NPS VSS Writer. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery

So the extra variable, Trying to backup to optical. Seems like a silly limitation as I would place a DVD in the drive, and backup at 7PM at night with a schedule. 
For the past X years, we have backed up our data to DVD with a 5 day rotation to a group of folders.  We have had to pull a backup from X week, which is why the need for the backup to DVD.  It was nice with NTBackup and a $50 util that would backup to DVD as a tape drive, but with 2003 R2 product support up in July, need to investigate the replacement solution.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Let me see what support can add to this.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

That error seems to be implying you have a VSS writer installed that SSR either does not support or where the writer has has a problem affecting SSR - have you researched what the NPS VSS writer actually is?

Also on the affected server have you checked the VSS writers are stable with VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS?

Are there any VSS errors in the event logs of the system?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?