cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR2013R2 manage backup destination does not remove entries from backup history.

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Using System Recovery 2013. We backup to an external hard disk then create an offsite copy to a NAS device.
I deleted some backup sets through the 'manage backup destinations' option to free up disk space.
Now the backup history shows the backup sets on the external hard drive as missing and the offsite copies as unavailable.
The external hard disk backups were removed using the 'manage backup destinations' option.
I had to manually delete the backups from the offsite destination as the recovery points are not even available through that windows as per the screenshot.

What is going on here? Is this a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

11.jpg

22.JPG

6 REPLIES 6

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Tried stopping and restarting the SSR service but that made no difference.

criley
Employee Accredited

My guess is that something went wrong when the database tried to update itself when you did the deletion Not sure why though.

Is this something that you can easily reproduce?

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Yes, it's something I can reproduce.

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you provide the exact steps that you use to reproduce the issue?

Also, what operating system are you seeing this issue on?

Philip_Lakic
Level 4

Windows Server 2008R2.
I run the manage backup destination tool, delete recovery points from the external drive and then they come up missing.

Interesting part is that this morning when I logged back onto the server all those captured screenshot errors have cleared and the missing entries and not available errors have been removed from backup history.

Is there some kind of maintenance that happens in the background at a set time, instead of immediately removing those backup history entries from the database?

I didn't have any issues sending the offsite copies to the NAS device before but I did play around with the network configuration of the NAS device and changed some usernames and also tried mapping a drive letter on the server back to the NAS to see if that made a difference. Ultimately SSR2013 uses a UNC path anyway so I doubt that did anything.

I still can't managed the NAS device as a backup destination. All options are grey out within the tool.

criley
Employee Accredited

Is there some kind of maintenance that happens in the background at a set time, instead of immediately removing those backup history entries from the database?

-- As far as I know, it should happen immediately. Not sure why it did not appear to do this for you.

I still can't managed the NAS device as a backup destination. All options are grey out within the tool.

-- That's odd. The destination is really just a network share so not sure why this is greyed out. I did a quick test here with a basic network share and it works fine for me. Can you open a support case for this please?