cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSRD for Server too slow

cddefo2
Level 3

It's been running for 2 weeks.  I scheduled 2 daily backups assigned on the same job, one at 4am the other at 10pm.   The reason for the odd times is because the owner works all the time at odd times.  The backups are being stored on a NAS shared drive and folder over the network.   The 10pm backup rarely gets done by 4am, so the 4am job fails to run.  VSS backups are enabled.  I only have 140GB total on the server, 40GB of mainly OS on one partition, and a 500GB partition with 100GB of data.

The initial recovery point took 4hrs.  Normal to me.   The weekly recovery points since are 45min.  This too seems just fine.  The data is my issue the 4am only runs on Mondays because when the 10pm starts it never finishes by 4am the day and that cause it not to run.  Times are increasing from 6hrs initially to over 6h35mins last time. 

I would like to know what I can do to speed things up?  This is not going to cut it long term.  I can't call symantec until I purchase it, it is still operating under trial.

4 REPLIES 4

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you doing a full image set every night? (Full images have .V2i extension, incrementals have .iv2i extension). If so, modify the schedule to start a new recovery point set once a week or month, which should reduce the daily backup times. 

cddefo2
Level 3

I am doing a full image on Sunday,  and a file back on Mon-Fri at the times specified earlier.  Today the 10pm ran 10 min past 4am so the 4am didn't run.  This is also the first time the daily did not increase and actually went quicker by 20min.

The daily files are backed up to the fbfFiles_xxx folders and don't have the extensions you ask of. 

The Images are shown in the attached screen shot.  On the 15th, I manually started the first, the 20th was scheduled, and the 27th was scheduled.  It seems to be doing a full each time plus there is some incrementals also.  I don't understand why it does what it is doing.

Also, I'm keeping only 4 recovery point images and 6 file file versions.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Eliminate the File and Folder backup job. It's redundant and could be the cause of the slow down. If you do volume backups, incrementals contain all file and folder changes since the last backup and you can schedule incrementals to run as close as every 15 minutes. You can extract that data anytime by double-clicking on the latest recovery point and copying any data out of it that you need. 

cddefo2
Level 3

I disabled f&f.  I changed the recovery point backup to run 2x day and store 6 recovery points.  To be clear, I should use file and folder backups for critical data only?   Or can you give a good example of when to use f&f backups? 

Many thanks!