Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYMSNAP BSOD; Serious problem, no response

Gary_Karasik
Level 5

SYMSNAP BSOD, Serious problem, no response

Hi,

I have been using LSR 3.03 for years on a Windows 2003 server but decided finally to upgrade to BESR 2010. The BESR 2010 install went smoothly, but attempting to copy the C drive to an unallocated space on another drive caused an 0x8e BSOD. The blue-screen indicated a problem with SYMSNAP.SYS. Subsequently the system was unbootable. I tried selecting "Last known good" and Safe Mode, but the system continued to blue-screen. It was effectively dead.

I was able to get the system back up (YES!) by using Recovery Console to disable SYMSNAP.

After that I uninstalled/reinstalled BESR 2010, but this re-enabled SYMSNAP, and the system again would not boot,

I re-disabled SYMSNAP via Recovery Console and was able to reboot. The BESR 2010 GUI will run, but with SYMSNAP disabled, I am unable to use BESR 2010 to perform any functions.

I found a BESR 2010-related KB article that suggested changinan a BOOT.INI parameter, but this seems to refer to Windows NT.

I uninstalled BESR 2010, but when I rebooted, SYMSNAP was again enabled, so I again used Recovery Console to disable it. I now hava a BESR-free machine, but a disabled SYMSNAP is still installed. Thie machine also uses pcAnywhere 12.5 and BEWS 12.5, and I'm wondering if either of these will re-enable SYMSNAP after an update.

Also, the problem is not a corrupt SYMSNAP.SYS file. While in Recovery Console I replaced the existing SYMSNAP.SYS with a known-good SYMSNAP.SYS from a working system.

I could really use some help solving this SYMSNAP dilemma. I would like to be able to use BESR 2010.

GaryK

1 REPLY 1

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you thought about opening a case with Symantec ?