cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Freezing and Requires Hard Reset during SSR 2011 Small Business Backup

Lukeykill
Level 2

Hi all,

This morning was the 2nd time recently that this has taken place...

SERVER SPECS:

ASUS Dual 1366 Socket Motherboard

Xeon 5520 Quad Core CPU

24GB DDR3-1066 ECC Memory

RAID 5 disk system

Windows Small Business Server 2011

Symantec System Recovery 2011 Small Business Server Edition

ISSUE

System Recovery backups nightly to an attached USB external hard drive without any issues. The problem is when I attempt to do a once a week backup to a NAS (Western Digital My Book Live 2TB), the server will at times become completely unresponsive, any attempts to control the machine physically are thwarted due to being met with a black screen, key strokes, mouse movements are not recognized. Attempts to connect to the server via RDC do not work, users cannot reach the network data drives on the server, however, it will respond to pings. The only option is to do a hard shutdown and restart the server. This is very annoying and results in lost time and work. Any ideas? Again, the regular USB backup works fine, it is the network drive that messes up, the drive is configured with a static ip. The backup path in SSR is defined as \\ipaddress\serverbackup.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which service pack do you run ? Try the network throttle option under options->performance to reduce the writing speed to the NAS device.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which service pack do you run ? Try the network throttle option under options->performance to reduce the writing speed to the NAS device.

Lukeykill
Level 2

Thanks so much Markus, I went to the performance and at first selected 10000kbps and it started backing up, I got a high estimated time to be completed (as expected) so I bumped it up to 30000kbps, which did increase the writing speed and the backup did complete successfully. I will keep the setting here as the backup finished in a reasonable time. Again thanks!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It was a pleasure for me !