cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server2003 Backup jobs suddenly taking DAYS to complete

CyberPinhead
Level 2

I have an older 2003 server that we are pushing to be upgraded but client has so far withheld doing so.  Recently we changed their backup scheme when the old tape drive broke.  Now it has 3 static USB drives.  We installed SSR 2013.  I setup 3 jobs.  Monday Wednesday going to one drive.  Tuesday Thursday going to another one and Friday to one of it's own.  The drives never get unplugged.  There is a separate monthly job that is run manually and kept in a vault offsite.

Typically the backup (~250gb) was taking around 4.5 hours to complete and has been running great for 4-6 months now.  However on January 14th, for no aparent reason the backup took 68 hours to complete and has been continuing to take this long to run.  I am cancelling jobs constantly.  It succeeds and runs normally maybe 1 day a week.  The rest of the time I log in in the morning and see a blinking progress notification that says "66 hours remaining" after it has already been running for 12 hours.  I have tried deleting and recreating the job, checking the event logs, checked the raid, tested the USB drives with Seatools.  I am finding literally nothing wrong with anything.  SSR is up to date and I am at my wits end.

All the log files I can locate give me no information as to any errrors the backup is encountering.  The progress log just shows Progress[10], 11, 12 so on with no errors that I saw.  The other log just shows started backup jobs and cancelled jobs with a couple successfull that manage to run normally.  The ones that do complete are not on any certain day either.  This week Monday ran and finished, last week it was wednesday, the week before that Friday ran normally.

Can anyone give me an idea of where to start shy of reinstalling the whole dang thing (which at this point probably would have been a lot faster if it works).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CyberPinhead
Level 2

We are quoting them a new server.  Nothing tried worked.  It is still sproadic.  Every once in awhile we get a backup that only takes 5 hours.  Most of the times it's 3 days.  I have adjust the backups to only backup on Friday now, it usually finished up around Monday at 10am.  

They need a new server anyway.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Actually no. Can you open a support case for this?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Please update!

CyberPinhead
Level 2

We are quoting them a new server.  Nothing tried worked.  It is still sproadic.  Every once in awhile we get a backup that only takes 5 hours.  Most of the times it's 3 days.  I have adjust the backups to only backup on Friday now, it usually finished up around Monday at 10am.  

They need a new server anyway.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, so may I kindly ask you to mark your post as solved then?