Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show what Files are being backed up.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Hello,

I'm running Symantec System recovery.

A Full Backup is done monthly and Incrementals daily. My incrementals are quite large. Is there any way to determine what files are actually being backed up?

For what its worth, tonights incremental backup was 15GB. I also have Shadow Protect installed setup on the same schedule. Its backup was only 300MB. I'm not sure what is going on.

11 REPLIES 11

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Could it possibly be file fragementation. From what i understand Symantec System recovery is a block level backup program. If files are fragemented on the disk and are being moved around then that should trigger them to be backed up again right?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Surely the software would be smart enough to figure this out though right?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, I would'nt bet. May I ask you to mark this post as solved in case all your questions are answered.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Markus,

Unfortunately my question hasn't been answered yet. There is still no way to tell what files get backed up.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Ok, can you open a support call for that ?

criley
Employee Accredited

One way to do this is to mount the incremental (iv2i) recovery point - right-click on the file and choose the mount option. This will mount the recovery point as a temporary volume in Windows. You can then browse through the data to see what is being backed up.

Might give some clues..

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Markus,

Support will probably just say the same thing Chris did.

I was hoping that I missed something and that there was a feature in the software that told what got backed up 'easily'.

Never mind, maybe in the next version.

criley
Employee Accredited

If you would like for this to be considered for future versions of SSR, please submit the suggestion here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hopefully ! So may I ask you mark your post as solved.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

done :)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/show-what-files-are-being-backed