Highlighted

Slow restore, 410GB 12 hours.

Hello,

 

We are testing for a few customers the restore procedure for the first time. Those customers have made backups with Symantec System Recovery over the past 3 years.

Hardware:

  • HP Proliant ML350 G6
  • Raid 5, 4x 150GB
  • Disk space:
    • Total: 410GB
    • Used: 360GB

Software:

  • Windows Server Standard FE
  • Symantec System Recovery 2011
    • 10.0.0.39952

Backup destination:

  • External Deonet/Raidon with raid 1 configuration & weekly change of backup disk.
  • 3x Western Digital Green 1,5TB 7200RPM WD15EADS

 

The problems we experience during a restore:

  • Slow restore procedure
    • USB 2.0 taking 12 hours to restore
    • SATA directly on the motherboard taking 12 hours to restore
    • USB 3.0 is not regonized during a restore, we cannot restore with this option at this moment

 

Question:

  1. How can we reduce the System Recovery Restore time from 12hours to 4-6hours?
  2. From what version is USB 3.0 supported when booting from a Disaster Recovery Disk?
  3. Can we create by our own a Disaster Recovery Disk including USB 3.0 support, if yes, how or is there a manual for this?

I hope i provided enough information to get to a solution.

When there is more information required i will directly add it.

 

Thank you for reading and helping us out.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution!

Hello Chris, We have found

Hello Chris,

We have found the issue.

The problem that is causing the slow restore procedure is that battery of the raid controller.
It was empty, couldn't load up anymore.

We have bought a new one and we just connected it and started another restore.

 

The time of restore has been reduced by 10 hours!!

Right now the restore procedure with default hardware configuration (So no USB 3.0) of the server is taking 2 hours instead of 12.

 

Please do not close the topic yet as i want to close this as soon as the entire restore has been done. This will take 2 hours from now.

Thank you for all your help to get this fixed.

For this support we have chosen Symantec System Recovery.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Regarding USB 3.0, the

Regarding USB 3.0, the following should help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154302

So you should test a restore with USB 3.0 using the most recent recovery disk which is 2013 SP2.

Hope this helps.

I have made a 2013 Disaster

I have made a 2013 Disaster Recovery Disk and i got to see the USB 3.0 card.

Worked like a charm!

 

The problem now is that i am now 30 minutes after the start of the restore and it done 1% for 360GB.

What can cause this? It still is to slow or are there other things running in the first 30 minutes to prepare the restore?

Yes, that seems very slow. Is

Yes, that seems very slow.

Is the USB 3.0 drive connected to a USB 3.0 controller?

Yes, it is connected to a USB

Yes, it is connected to a USB 3.0 Controller.

Right now we are updating the bios.

OK, let us know if that

OK, let us know if that helps.

I suspect some hardware issue is causing this so updating the bios is probably a good starting point.

We have updated the Bios, it

We have updated the Bios, it does not help to solve this issue.

We will take another server to do a restore.

I will let you know if this helps too.

 

** Edit **

We also try it with a E212 Raid Controller.

This is giving us after 20 minutes 2% on 360GB.

Right now we will try it on a brand new server HP Proliant ML350p G8.

 

Tomorrow i got more information due the data of that server need to be made a backup of.

HP Proliant ML350p G8 is

HP Proliant ML350p G8 is taking the restore over USB 3.0 in 1 hour 27 minutes.

Another HP Proliant ML350 G5 is also taking up to 12 hours...

So was the restore to the G8

So was the restore to the G8 the same as you tried before (same data, from same USB drive)?

If yes, this suggests some issue with the G5/G6 models doesn't it? Maybe time to get HP involved to see if they can offer any input on this.

Are you 100% sure the G5/G6 has a USB 3.0 controller?

Nico, Just checking to see if

Nico,

Just checking to see if you had any updates for us on this?

Accepted Solution!

Hello Chris, We have found

Hello Chris,

We have found the issue.

The problem that is causing the slow restore procedure is that battery of the raid controller.
It was empty, couldn't load up anymore.

We have bought a new one and we just connected it and started another restore.

 

The time of restore has been reduced by 10 hours!!

Right now the restore procedure with default hardware configuration (So no USB 3.0) of the server is taking 2 hours instead of 12.

 

Please do not close the topic yet as i want to close this as soon as the entire restore has been done. This will take 2 hours from now.

Thank you for all your help to get this fixed.

For this support we have chosen Symantec System Recovery.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the update. Glad

Thanks for the update. Glad you found the cause of the poor performance.

Feel free to mark this thread as 'solved' once you confirm the restore is successful.

Issue is solved. 3 hours

Issue is solved.

3 hours restore is made, this is acceptable.

 

Thank you alot for your time on this case Chris Riley.