cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solutions for vSphere ESXi?

CTS-Tech
Level 3

We are trying to figure out what Backup software to sell when we are implementing Servers that run on vSphere ESXi.  We want an image-based solution that can also do file-level restores.  We are also trying to implement this with minimal cost to the client.

We are very familiar with Backup Exec, but not too familiar with System Recovery.

So for a single ESXi Server with multiple hosts:

1. Do we need to install SSR on each host?  Does that require a license for each?
  2. Say we have 2 Server hosts.  Can we back those up using a 3rd virtual machine to an external device?
  3. How is SSR Virtual Edition different from Standard?

Thank you for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited
  1. Yes (note that the virtual edition is licensed per host)
  2. See the note section here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126081
  3. There is an agent. You can choose to install the full GUI or agent-only
  4. Either use P2V to convert the recovery point (recovery point = backup image file) to VMDK or just restore the recovery point back into the VM using the bootable recovery disk (SRD)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Chad_B234
Not applicable

Looking forward to seeing what your response is. I have downloaded and run the standard edition, not realizing there was a difference in virtual edition, but then trial downloads appear to be the exact same files.

I want a solution that I don't have to install on each guest OS preferably.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

criley
Employee Accredited
  1. You cannot install SSR on an ESX host. You need to install on each guest VM in the same way you would on any physical machine.
  2. No - see above answer.
  3. Technically there is no difference. The only difference is in the licensing model. The virtual edition allows you to install SSR on an unlimited number of guest VMs running a server OS. So if you have a large number of guest VMs, this makes it a much more cost effective solution.

Hope that helps you both.

CTS-Tech
Level 3

Sorry, I got my terminology mixed up.  When I said "host" I meant guest (VM).

1. So with the Virtual Edition, I can install SSR on all of my VMs on ESXi with no additional licensing?
  2. Will this work with the "free" edition of ESXi?  (the one without the backup APIs)
  3. There is no "agent" correct?  I would need to install the full product on each VM?
  4. If I had a VM become corrupt and unusable, how would I restore the VM back into ESXi?

I'm wondering if SSR is a more cost effective solution to ESXi, than purchasing Veeam (which requires the paid version of ESXi).

Thank you for your time.

criley
Employee Accredited
  1. Yes (note that the virtual edition is licensed per host)
  2. See the note section here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126081
  3. There is an agent. You can choose to install the full GUI or agent-only
  4. Either use P2V to convert the recovery point (recovery point = backup image file) to VMDK or just restore the recovery point back into the VM using the bootable recovery disk (SRD)

CTS-Tech
Level 3

So #2 - officially no?

criley
Employee Accredited

#2 is specific to P2V (converting recovery points). Sorry, should have made that clear before.

If you just want to do backup/restore, it will work.

Pitboy99
Level 2
Partner

#2 does this go for V2P as well? If you want to use the recovery point to convert to a physical server?

criley
Employee Accredited

No, it wont appy to V2P.