cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SreEula.exe - System Error when booting 2013 R2 SRD

mikegrills
Level 3

Hi all.

I have had a support ticket open on this now for almost two weeks, with no luck.

I have 2 issues.

Dell Poweredge T420.  Intel Xeon E5-2450 2.1.  16GB RAM.    Windows Server 2012 R2 Std.   System Recover 2013 R2 w/ current MS ADK installed.  

All Windows updates installed, and Live update ran.

1.  When trying to create a "Typical" SRD, I am only offered "German" as a language selection. 

2.  More imporant issue:    I cannot boot the Advanced 64-bit SRD after seemingly successfully creating it in English.   Booting starts out fine.  Blue Windows logo...white spinning in process icon.  I get the symantec boxes for loading drivers, checking system requirements, network confguration, but then I get an error box titled:  "SreEula.exe - System Error" .  The message is: "The program can't start because oledlg.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem".  I have tried repairing, uninstallling and re-installing the software multiple times, but always get the same error. 

I haven't gotten anywhere with tech support.

Anyone with any ideas??

Thanks

Mike

60 REPLIES 60

zchandran
Level 3

I installed KB947821 on the server (2008 R2 SP1), rebooted, and created a new SRD. I am still getting the same error message.

Also, I have tried creating the SRD from a Windows 7 desktop instead of the server - and that produces an identical error message on boot. So I'm not sure it's DISM corruption, unless two different machines somehow got identically corrupted.

I've attached my latest dism.log, I created the image after 10am today.

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm currently working directly with another customer on this issue. I will post back here once I have an update ...

zchandran
Level 3

Support talked me through creating a typical SRD. Apparently you have to make it on a machine that's not part of your managed system. Makes zero sense to me - if I have a server and 100 clients being backed up, why should I have to download the software to a different computer just to make a recovery disk?

Anyway, we're good for now. I'd like to make the advanced disk, but support said the process is quite buggy, and strongly recommended we stay with the typical disk. I'll wait for this thread to be updated, and hope for the best.

Chris, thanks for your work on this, and good luck.

zchandran
Level 3

Support talked me through creating a typical SRD. Apparently you have to make it on a machine that's not part of your managed system. Makes zero sense to me - if I have a server and 100 clients being backed up, why should I have to download the software to a different computer just to make a recovery disk?

Anyway, we're good for now. I'd like to make the advanced disk, but support said the process is quite buggy, and strongly recommended we stay with the typical disk. I'll wait for this thread to be updated, and hope for the best.

Chris, thanks for your work on this, and good luck.

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks for the update.

I agree, what you have been given is a workaround, not a solution.

I cannot endorse what you have been told by a member of support - just my opinion!

The customer I'm working with is seeking assistance from Microsoft. I'll keep this thread updated once I know more ...

Asingh811
Level 2

I was facing same issue and found the solution:

I disabled the installed anti-virus and create a new recovery disc and that's worked.

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks for providing this information.

Can I ask the following please:

• Which anti-virus software are you using?
  • When you say 'I disabled..', what do you mean exactly? Stopped the service, disabled the on-access scanner..?

WTurnley
Level 3

Well, hi everyone!  It's good to see I'm not the only one have problems with the Windows 10, SSR 2013-SR2 issue.

I moved over from Windows 7 and a fully backed up system using SSR 2013-SR1, only to find 'SR1 wasn't going to be updated for Windows 10 and I HAD to buy SR2, in order to back up my desktop.  So, that's all well and good, so I dowloaded the current 'SR2, which they say is supposed to be fully functioning and set it up for a TRIAL.  Then I "fiddled" with compatibility on the SRD Creator, getting the app' to run only to find I need a KEY to create the SRD Disk!

So, the trial isn't "fully functioning," is it?  Or, as Symantec says, the software isn't compatible.  What a day!  I'm done!  So, I'll create my backups, using the trial version, but I won't have any way to recover, if God forbid, i need to.  Is there a way to create that SRD Disk without a key?  It'd help, since $100, is a lot at the end of the month!

Couldn't register the key anyway, unless I fiddled with the VPro app!  So, what do I do?  (No imaging software; it won't work, since I need to back up folders.  Tried it!)

Asingh811
Level 2

Hi Claude,

Please disable the installed antivirus and create new recovery disk and again take system backup.

I was facing same issue and after this hit & try method i was able to boot with that.

U can also use the recovery disk which created on another system (Application and OS version should be the same).

Please try and let me know ASAP.

Asingh811
Level 2

Hi Chris,

Please disable the installed antivirus and create new recovery disk and again take full system backup.

I was facing same issue and after this hit & try method i was able to boot with that.

U can also guide to use the recovery disk which created on another system (Application and OS version should be the same).

Please try and let me know ASAP.

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, but I'm interested to understand WHICH anti-virus software caused this issue? Can you confirm please?

Asingh811
Level 2

Chris: That was Macfee antivirus

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, thanks.

Can you please confirm the exact McAfee product that caused this? http://home.mcafee.com/store/free-antivirus-trials

weff
Level 4

### Please Note: ###

I have been having the same problem with creating a SRD disk under SSR 2013 R2.3 under Windows 10. The solution found here for this other example of this problem under System Recovery Management Solution mode by turning off Antivrus for the duration of the SRD iso creation does not work under Windows 10 - the file oledlg.dll is simply not present within the BOOT.WIM file under SOURCES of the iso.

I have not reported this fault as Windows 10 is not yet supported

-----------------------------------------------------------

Coincidentally I've had that exact same problem with an SRD boot disk that was created (I am running NIS current latest version 

on my PC too) and I fixed the SRD by extracting BOOT.WIM from the iso and adding a copy of oledlg.dll directly into \Windows\system32 of the BOOT.WIM using DISM.  The version of oledlg.dll should be the same as the system that the SRD was created for.

Once I did that the SRD disk booted successfully and there was no error then displaying the EULA and SRD menu was displayed successfully after the EULA was accepted.

In the Typical SRD creation the file oledlg.dll is added to \Windows\system32 of the created SRD disk within BOOT.WIM which exists in \SOURCES of the created SRD iso.

However, in the Advanced SRD creation the file oledlg.dll has not been added to BOOT.WIM - so hence the boot of the SRD disk for Advanced will fail.

The file oledlg.dll is required by the EULA acceptance executables and possibly other Symantec programs with dialogs.

weff
Level 4

I have worked out a simple solution to the missing oledlg.dll for SRD iso creation in Advanced mode under Windows 10.  (See Windows 10 thread on Forum)

This should also work for anyone having the same issue in Windows 8.1 or even Windows 2008 R2 in Advanced mode SRD Creation as it adds oledlg.dll into the SRD disk skeleton matrix to always be included on the Recovery disk System Image. It is not intended as a long term solution as that will come from Symantec.

This is for those people desperate for a fix to creating an SRD boot disk with oledlg.dll included.

Please note that for me, disabling the Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus whilst building an SRD disk - did not work and, under Windows 10, that made no difference.

I hope this will solve the originator of this thread's problem as well.

Interim Solution to missing oledlg.dll in created SRD disks in Advanced Mode.

It is assumed that you have already modified the Compatibility Mode setting of SRDCreator.exe in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Console directory to be Windows 8 for all users so that SRDCreator works under Windows 10. [Not needed for Windows 8.1 or Windows 2008 R2)

You will need Administrator rights to perform the following and OK each one.

1. Copy C:\Windows\system32\oledlg.dll to
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\RecoveryDisk\SreModule\V2iModule\win64-x64\Files\Windows\system32

2. Copy C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oledlg.dll to
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\RecoveryDisk\SreModule\V2iModule\win32\Files\Windows\system32

Once this change is made future SRD disks produced in Advanced mode should always include the appropriate oledlg.dll in \Windows\system32 -with a 32-bit version for 32-bit systems and the 64-bit version for 64-bit systems.. I have tested that the oledlg.dll is written to the system image BOOT.WIM from the skeleton matrix of system files and that the disk boots successfully through the EULA on a 64-bit system only.

This workaround should also work for 32-bit SRD disk creations too - but has not yet been verified. However as long as the relevant version of oledlg.dll is in the skeleton matrix of system files it will always be added as part of the SRD Creation process - whether 32-bit or 64-bit - so should not be an issue.

This is an interim solution only as once Symantec is able to correct the underlying problem then oledlg.dll should be added automatically in both typical and Advanced SRD Mode creation.

[post-edited to correct typo's and qualify for Windows 8.1/Windows 2008 R2 usage]

criley
Employee Accredited

We've now had 2 customer confirm that McAfee VirusScan appears to have been the cause of this issue. I will be writing a TechNote for this next week.

For those seeing the issue and NOT using McAfee on the same machine, I would recommend opening a support case for further investigation. For those seeing this issue on Windows 10, obviously support won't be able to help until such time that we add official support for this version of Windows (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH231698).

WTurnley
Level 3

Chris,

Please allow me to reiterate . . .

Well, hi everyone!  It's good to see I'm not the only one have problems with the Windows 10, SSR 2013-SR2 issue.

I moved over from Windows 7 and a fully backed up system using SSR 2013-SR1, only to find 'SR1 wasn't going to be updated for Windows 10 and I HAD to buy SR2, in order to back up my desktop. . . . So, time came to create the restore disk; I couldn't.

I "fiddled" with compatibility (as described on these posts) on the SRD Creator, getting the app' to run only to find I need a KEY to create the SRD Disk!

So, the trial isn't "fully functioning," is it?  Or, as Symantec says, the software isn't compatible.  What a day!  I'm done!  So, I'll create my backups, using the trial version, but I won't have any way to recover, if God forbid, i need to.  Is there a way to create that SRD Disk without a key?  It'd help, since $100, is a lot at the end of the month!

criley
Employee Accredited

You CAN create the recovery disk when in trial mode.

However, as you probably already know, Windows 10 is not fully supported yet. This has been discussed at length on these forums as you may have seen.

WTurnley
Level 3

Thanks Chris, but I could not see a way around the SSR2 software asking me for a key.  When SR2 is ready, I'll go back to Windows 10.  That way, I can pay for the software and the question will be moot. 

Hopefully, it won't take more than 9 months to get SR2/3 up to speed.  Nah, Symantec is better than that!  I just couldn't accept the imaging to the Cloud stuff they have out there!  Since I'm a developer, I backup frequently and need to restore files and folder individually from the Recovery Point Browser.

Thanks for your time.

criley
Employee Accredited

The fix for the license issue with Windows 10 has been available for a while now - all the details are here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH231698.