cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop a Backup

Bakinup
Level 4

I am trying to back up and XP box that has a raid 1 scsi set of disks. The BESR  manager is 8.0.2.26412  After the agent was loaded it backed up ok . It is set up  on a  weekly schedule. The second week the backup started and has been stuck @ 5% for a couple of days. no error no progress. Does nothing. It is always reporting to manager as if everything is connected

Is there a way to stop this backup without rebooting?  This is the second time this has happened. If I reload the agent it works once, then hangs the next time
I am wondering if  anyone seen this issue before or is it something with my box?  I will probably be able to upgrade to 8.5 in late September but until then I would like for this to work. This box also has 2 nic's,  1 on a private lan and the other on a domain. 

This forum is a big help. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited
You can get the 8.0.5 service pack here:

ftp://iosupport:iS*pp8rT1@ftp.entsupport.symantec.com/pub/support/outgoing/besr805/Symantec_Backup_Exec_System_Recovery_8.0_SP5_Patch.exe

You can install this over the top of 8.0.2 (reboot required).

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
To stop it restart the Backup Exec System Recovery service on the machine that is being "imaged"

Bakinup
Level 4
I found a cancel button in Manager and a cancel in BESR on the desktop. They never did stop the hung backup.
The BESR  service stopped the backup.
Now all I have to do is figure out why it hangs after running once. 5% is a magic place in a backup I guess?  The backup gets there and hangs llike it is waiting for something. 
I tried reloading the BESR + managment control and it failed. This machine just doesn't like BESR for some reason 
The log was giving a system error 258 Failed to grab execution Mutex
Any Ideas ??

criley
Employee Accredited
What version/build of BESR do you have on this particular client?

Bakinup
Level 4

At least I did have. Itried to install over it and it failed. I won't be able to boot for a couple of days.
I will install it again wheni can take the machine down 
This is an XP very busy box with 2 Scsi controllers a raid 1 system disk and a 1.5tb scsi array for data.
I noticed lately when I try to load the agent, it will fail and I can't reload anything until I delete Symantec out of the registry.  This is a real pain and it doesn't always work

Thanks again

criley
Employee Accredited
The latest build available for 8.0 is 8.0.5 - I would suggest that you update to that as a starting point to see if it helps.

Bakinup
Level 4

I have 8.5.5 manager

I plan to upgrade to BESRM 8.5  in late Sept. I really  hope this helps.Since I must go to 50 nodes and reload the agent and managment. Most of these nodes are controllers or engineering boxes.  Not regular desktops. there is no way to push BESR agent to them  No one sits in front of them using excel or word,  I hope I don't have to scrub the registry of each machine.  Since there is no explaination or fix I will just have to struggle along till then. 
Is there a better way to get the software loaded after it fails without having to remove all the registry entries ? I tried the removal tool that didn't help.
We only started having this issue lately.   How is it it worked fine and all the sudden it's a Pain in the _ _ _?   

Seems the only answer I have had in the last month is upgrade. 

criley
Employee Accredited
I think you misunderstand me - I was suggesting that you update the client from 8.0.2 to 8.0.5. This is a free update as you are just updating the build for 8.0.

I'm not saying this will resolve the problem but you have a better chance of things being stable with the latest build as there have been numerous fixes since 8.0.2.

Bakinup
Level 4

Hi again  Chris
I was told since I am using manager , the only way to upgrade was to go to 8.5 So i have it in the works to upgrade manager and all clients to 8.5.5. I ran live update and no 8.0.5 shows up.      Maybe I have done something wrong. 
I looked in fileconnect and all I found was 8.0.4 multilingual
Ran Live Update again and here is what I got 

The following Symantec products and components are installed on your computer.
> Backup Exec System Recovery
> Backup Exec System Recovery Manager
> LiveUpdate
Initializing...
Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...
Downloading catalog file (1 of 3), complete.
Opening update list
The digital signature found on the catalog file has been signed by Symantec Corporation.
Processing update list
Opening update list
Processing update list
Downloading catalog file (2 of 3), product up-to-date.
Downloading catalog file (3 of 3), product up-to-date.
All of the Symantec products installed on your computer are currently up-to-date. Remember to check for new updates frequently.
LiveUpdate session is complete.

Maybe this will help clear things up a bit 

Thanks 

criley
Employee Accredited
You can get the 8.0.5 service pack here:

ftp://iosupport:iS*pp8rT1@ftp.entsupport.symantec.com/pub/support/outgoing/besr805/Symantec_Backup_Exec_System_Recovery_8.0_SP5_Patch.exe

You can install this over the top of 8.0.2 (reboot required).

braswell_js
Level 3
Seems like you and I are in very similar enviroments. I work for a paper company and have been tasked to install disaster recovery onto the boxes running the paper machines, to help eliminate downtime. I can't reboot when I need to, as that shuts down the production and I get lots of frowny faces from people. I can honestly say I haven't had the best luck with this software. There's a problem with the digital certificate coming from the server that I can't seem to get working, my backups also hang at 5% and don't do anything, if they even start. I must say Symantec, I am most displeased with the software. I can't even get the backups I need to continue on the work I need to get done, and I HAVE to get this software working by the end of this month, as well as test a restore, which I'm beginning to doubt will even work, and load up to 300 Microsoft patches on 40 machines. Symantec will be receiving a call for me, and I will not leave this issue unresolved. This company trusted me enough to go with the software I recommended, and I recommended Symantec thinking it was good software, but now I'm beginning to question that judgement. Thank you Symantec, you're putting my neck on the line for your poor software developement. The only one that's been able to help me so far is Chris, and he only resides on the forums as far as I know of. Just needed to rant and rave a little, please keep us updated on this, as it relates to my issue as well.

Bakinup
Level 4
to Brasswell
Yes we are similar in the respect that we only have us to deploy all this stuff. Working in a rolling mill everything is spread out over 60 acres. Some  time I can log in remote and do things but booting is practically impossibe. We  have had pretty good luck restoring computers, but it's tricky doing a bare metal restore. Just make sure you have nic drivers for vista ( we have XP on PC's ) and XP drivers so after the restore you can find the other drivers you will need on the internet.  Most of our boxes are Dell Optitrash (plex oops) dell does a good job about keeping the drivers needed by tag number. So it can be a challenge but most of the time it works.
I have had good luck most of the time with support. I guess they must cover a bunch of products. But some of the bugs in the software can be show-stoppers in our situation. 
Keep in touch

I am going to be pissed if this free update solves some of the problems I have had. We have already spent a bunch to upgrade to 8.5. Hopefully we will get to it in Sept. 

To Chris 

I will try this and  hope it shows up in manager. Thanks 
I will mark this as a solution when I get it working 

criley
Employee Accredited
Bakinup - I understand your frustration. If your problems persist, I would encourage you to log a case with support so that they can be looked into in more detail. However, as already mentioned -- the first step should be to update to the latest build to see if this resolves any of your issues.

Bakinup
Level 4
Thanks Chris,

I am a bit frustrated but not with support, they usually can  help. This is only part of my job  so it's hard to know very much about this. So I keep asking questions that may be obvious to others.  I am upset I didn't know how to get 8.0.5 Maybe I didn't ask the question in the right way. Anyway; 

My next (obvious)  question is how do I apply this patch in manager. Can it be  used with an easy installer package ? Or is  it  sneakerware? ( do I have to go to each machine and apply the patch?) and then reload management on the PC?
I am reading the Manager manual it doesn't say anything obout patches? Just wants a CD to add a package.
I applied the patch and relaoded managment the PC shows up in manager as 8.0.5 but when I try to runa backup it just says it is pending and never runs??
We are almost there if it will just run from Manager

Thanks once again

criley
Employee Accredited
This particular patch will need to be installed manually on each client.

So are you saying that the client status within BESRM shows as pending or the backup job itself shows in a pending state - please clarify.

Bakinup
Level 4
The IS group  Deleted the plant network policy by mistake. When this happened firewalls went up everywhere on our vlan.Our NAS boxes were read only so to speak. We don't have policy on the engineering computers but when the plant policy was removed it defaulted to some crazy policy that was applied everywhere.  This was messing up everthing yesterday. All is back in order for now

I ran live update  on my PC, THe 8.0.5 downloaded and installed.  and all is well It is backing up now. The box that started this conversation is not reporting again probably due to the network issue yesterday. I will try again to upgrade it  today. I ran the patch you sent the link to  on 2 PC's I reloaded managment on 1 and tried to run a backup from manager. It is hung ina pending state   The other is pending without rerunning managment. 

imagebrowser image

After about 20 minutes it started working making a backup. Everything is in slow motion but it's working. Maybe I have more issues with my network. I am going to say this works