cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Management Engine fails with error

amal_graafstra
Level 3
I've already posted on this thread: http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=67367&tstart=0

But, I feel this is a serious enough issue to create a separate threat in an attempt to get some attention.

It appears the storage engine used in Symantec LiveState Recovery 6.0.2 Advanced Server will fail horribly when run on a machine that uses windows based spans. It used to work before on the machine in question (a dell NAS device). Only after adding new drives and spanning them using windows RAID did we have problems.

We left the OS drive alone: basic disk, standard MBR primary partitions. But, we converted the storage volume we had and the new drive we added to GPT dynamic disks, then spanned them using windows to create one large storage volume. Since then we get the same symptoms and this in the error log:

---------------------------------
Description:
Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session.
Error EC8F1771: Cannot enumerate the current drives on this system.
Error EC8F03EC: Cannot initialize the Storage Management Engine.
Error E6F10001: The Ldm database cannot be used.
Details: 0xE6F10001
Source: LiveState Recovery
---------------------------------

Uninstalling/reinstalling does nothing. Looks like Symantec needs to do something about this problem pronto and release an update for whatever engine they use in these various products. I can't even get the thing to image my OS drive, which is still just a basic disk and with a standard MBR primary partition.
5 REPLIES 5

Aimee_Barborka
Level 3
BESR (Backup Exec System Recovery) 6.5 and LiveState Recovery 6.0 will not initialize properly with GPT partitions. It will not be able to image any volumes on the machine with GPT partitions are present. Symantec is working on a quick fix which will allow you to image other volumes at least. I don't have an exact time frame, but it should be soon.

amal_graafstra
Level 3
Thanks!

Do you happen to have a link or a copy of a convo that could confirm this? So far I've got nothing from Symantec on the issue.

Tristan-K
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

I have used Backup Exec System Recovery for virtualization of several Windows 2000 servers. These servers were all configured in Windows dynamics disks, using soft mirroring. When I restored them on the virtual environment, I partitioned the hard drive into several primary partitions. Then I restored the original physical server with success. Through my experience I can say that dynamics partitions are supported. I don't have any experiences with the spanning.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
As  Aimee mentioned, dynamic disks are not likely the issue here.  It's likely the fact that a GPT configuration is present, which is currently a problem for BESR.

Hopefully the fix mentioned by Aimee will be available soon.

Full GPT support is being considered for a future release of the product.

Ian_McD
Not applicable
Hi,

I have just puchased 3 new HP servers and setup the 2nd partition (where data only is to be stored) as GPT.

I have loaded BESR Server v7.0.0.20351 on these servers and as per the other users entries I cannot create an image of the GPT disk. 

Is there an update coming for this soon as I am left with only creating backups of files and folders at present.

Thanks.