cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SymSnapService keeps erroring out

EZAce
Level 4

I am running BESR 8.0 Server Edition on two servers. On one server the backup process runs fine and has continued to run flawless since day one.

On the second server, the BESR access gets dropped anywhere from 2 or 3 days to two weeks. Eventually it is unable to connect and the backup jobs don't run.

The only way I can get the server back to see the backups and resume its normal schedule is to restart the SymSnapService service first, then restart the Backup Exec System Recovery service.

If I just restart the Backup Exec System Recovery service I cannot reconnnect? There seems to be no error long that says the SymSnapService (which is set to manual) has encountered any error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EZAce
Level 4

Seems I am using version 8 and there is a known memory leak in this version. After talking with Symantec it is recommened that I upgrade to version 2010.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

EZAce
Level 4

Notes: On the second and troubled server I am running Exchange 2003 and Endpoint Security.

Z:\>vssadmin list providers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Symantec Software VSS Provider'
   Provider type: Software
   Provider Id: {262b716e-bb23-41b5-aaef-e2c15e767167}
   Version: 1.0

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
   Provider type: System
   Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   Version: 1.0.0.7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Do you use the "use full VSS backup" option in your backup job ? I had a similar issue where the Symantec VSS provider needed to be stopped to let the backup finish. But in my case the problem was related to systemstate backup using ntbackup, not exchange.

EZAce
Level 4

Interestig enough, the first computer that runs perfect does had the "use full VSS backup" option on, while the second one, that has the error, does not.

I will turn this option on and see if this stops the issues with the backup. Thanks so much for the insight and I will post back if this works and fixed the issues.

EZAce
Level 4

Seems there is an issue with BESR 8 and I need to update to 2010.

EZAce
Level 4

Seems I am using version 8 and there is a known memory leak in this version. After talking with Symantec it is recommened that I upgrade to version 2010.