cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec BESR 2010 Management Solution: Cannot edit my Named Resource Targets!!??

Stefan_Davidov
Level 3
Hi, I am a Systems Administrator evaluating Symantec BackupExec System Recovery 2010 Desktop Edition for an enterprise domain which consists of roughly 250 machines. General backup tasks are performed daily at server level by a third party software. On the other hand a group (or groups) of  laptops should be backed up on a regular basis. The latter task has been accomplished through Altiris Recovery Solution 6.2  working on an Altiris Notification Server.
Current tests of BESR 2010 are looking good, but I am facing a some important obstacles... Here is what I,ve done so far:

1) Installed the BESR 2010 Management Solution on a domain server for centralized management of backups.
2) Defined a netork share for storage of recovery points (recovery point sets)
3) Installed the Altiris Agent and BESR 2010 Client Plugin on a single test computer and saved a "named resource target" called "TEST*** GRUP*" by using the procedure shown in "Stage 3.jpg".
4) Installed the Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 on the computer using an install policy assigned to the target "TEST*** GRUP*" which (now that I have saved it) I could easily find with the Quick apply link available in any policy .
5) Created and activated a backup policy named  "Backup Policy TEST 1" for a weekly creation of recovery point sets which we can store for a month back in time and also assigned it to the "TEST*** GRUP*" target.
6) Created a backup policy task named "Run Backup Policy TEST 1 ASAP" to have the ability to Quick Run the policy whenever I decided just to test if it works - again worked fine when assigned to the "TEST*** GRUP*" target. - "Stage 4.jpg"
7) Created client configuration policies refering to Event Log, Performance, SMTP Notification and Tray Icon and again - assigned it to the "TEST*** GRUP*" target.

Soon when I was sattisfied with the created bacup process I was ready to implement my initial idea - to add the remaining computers to the resource target "TEST*** GRUP*", because I was already sure everything worked fine... so I started searching for any option that would possibly allow me to edit that named resource target ("TEST*** GRUP*"), add the remaining copmuters to it, and save it with the same name, so I could further use the activated policies ... but I couldn't find anything!

8) Later I figured out that I can try using the procedure used in "Stage 3.jpg" and saving all again with the same name. When I did it the "Would you like to overwrite the existing policy.." popped out and I clicked Yes, but things got worse - "Stage 8.jpg" - I got two named resource targets with the same name !

My guess here is that I should find the place/interface/window in BESR 2010 where to edit named resource target and do it properly. Can anyone tell me where that is ?!

There should be one, because otherwise the administrator must do all of the above tasks for computes one by one (?!) instead of creating several targets with different policies and properties assigned and just add new computers as required. Correct me if I am wrong, but is this not the better decision?!

I would greatly appreciate any help, feedback or a useful hint from anyone experienced, or even a Symantec employee. Thank You all in advance!

0 REPLIES 0