cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec BESR desktop licensing and activation questions

DGF
Level 2
 Hello,
I have been trying to understand the new BESR licensing environment and spent a lot of time online and can not find any answers to my questions.
Some background.  We use Symantec backup software for our desktops.  We own 30 licenses BESR Desktop edition licenses and have kept all maintenance up to date over the years.  We have been using Symantec backup since, V2i Protector, Live State Recovery v3 & V6, BESR v7 and BESR v8 and now BESR 2010 desktop edition.  Most PCs have been running LSR6 or BESR7.  So SLF files were used for activating the software.  Many of the 30 licenses we own have never been installed or activated.  Some licenses have been removed from dead PCs.  The 30 licenses are grouped into two packs of 15 each.  I have taken the latest serial number of one pack of 15 maintenance licenses and have successfully downloaded the BESR 2010 software.  I have a single license key only.  I have successfully used the license key to do a "cold" backup from the CD.  I have also installed on a couple of test PCs.

Now for the main questions. How do I use this single license key?  Does this activate one license or 15?  If its 15 is there a counter some where? What if I throw away a PC that has died.  How do I activate the BESR 2010 software on the replacement PC? If it activates only one PC, how do I get more license keys?

thx in advance for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

Linas
Level 6
whats the answer?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
DGF ,

This answer might be best suited for our licensing division. I know the technical explanation (as per this technical forum), but as far as the legal aspects, you'll want to verify this with them. Drop them an email at licensing@symantec.com. Or, call 1-800-721-3934. I would be interested in knowing the answer to this question, so feel free to follow up with a reply.

nhej-
Level 5
Employee

If you have purcahse BESR 2010 with 15 quantity of license and you were provided 1 license key, that single license key will activate the 15 license.  You can shoot an email to license @symantec.com or better call customer care( licensing department) for you to be better assisted and for your record to be check.

nhej-
Level 5
Employee
Customer Care number is 1-800-721-3934 option 2. You may also call sales team at 1-800-75-6054 option 3 for further information regarding your BESR 2010.