cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 7.0 writes 0 bytes on 'successful' backups?

nluzader
Level 3
We are running Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 on all workstatsions here. We have 2 internal Hard Drives installed into each machine in our facility. We have a backup job that rides the entire C: Drive to the other hard drive (D:). The issue I'm having is that the backup job supposedly runs becasue there are no errors or warnings in the log, but the image that is sitting on the destination drive after a 'completed backup' is 0bytes.

I've tried all of this at the same time to try to clean it up. Deleted all previous backups off the destination drive, deleted the backup job, and recreated it.  This did nothing.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

EdT
Level 6

Have you considered whether just mirroring the disks in the operating system might offer a more reliable way of maintaining an exact copy of one hard disk on the other?
For the record, can you indicate what the sizes of the two hard disks are, and what operating system is installed on your machines?
Is there any information in the operating system event logs?
Are you backing up using an admin account?
Could your antivirus solution be blocking the operation of your backup software?

nluzader
Level 3
I may also add that when I manual run the backup job that is failing - it works with no issues.

nluzader
Level 3
The C: drive that is being backup up is an 80GB drive. The D: drive that is the destination drive is a 150GB drive.

The computer is running Windows XP x64.

The operating system event logs mostly say the service was started succesful. But I did find one instance with this error in it.

Error EC8F042E. Cannot register <computer name> with service principal name of VProRecovery Backup Exec system Recovery 7.0.
Details: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

I tried rejoining this machine to the domain to see if it would fix the issue - but had no luck.

I'll be trying an uninstall reinstall today I guess (I'm obviously just reaching for ideas at this point).

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Un-install, re-install paired with a format of the distination drive did not correct the issue. I also excluded the symantec folder from McAfee and still, no luck. RUnning out of ideas...

nluzader
Level 3
[bump]