cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 - Restoring to Different Hardware - SID lost!

blazingblu
Level 3
Hi there,

We have been trialling the System Recovery Product 2010 and have found it to be fairly good so far. The one issue however is that we want to backup over a site link to a NAS device which is sitting in a data center, which in that data center has 5 servers which are of a different hardware spec. When trying to restore the recovery points to any of these servers as the servers are completely blank/have no SIDs currently and arent on the network we have no option to retain the SID. Is there anyway around this to restore to the different hardware but retain the SID. We consider this a fairly large show stopper if not. Can you advise how we could go about this. In theory we have all the recovery points on a NAS device ready to be restored to these 5 independant servers, these servers however do run Exchange, SQL and act as DC's and web front ends, so losing the SID isnt an option. How else can we go about getting this to work in the way we would like it to?

Any help would be great!! Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
When you do a full computer restore to a new server, at least in our case, the SID's of the source server are retained. Logically if the target server has something installed on it, this SID's are lost. To fully understand your issue: Do the 5 target servers run an OS or are the just blank without an OS ?

blazingblu
Level 3
Yeah the target servers run no OS, they have absolutely nothing installed on their hard disks. So is this not possible then to restore the SIDs from backup too if there are no SIDs on the servers currently?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I think yes !

blazingblu
Level 3
Yes - as in it is not possible to restore the SIDs from backup unless it can recognise a token on the server i.e. it already has a SID and an install of windows running?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Sorry, what do you mean ?

blazingblu
Level 3
I mean are you saying this isnt possible to do what I am trying to do. e.g. retain the SID if the machines which I am restoring to have no SID already?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Now I got you. No, this is possible, you retain the SIDs from the soruce servers on the new ones.

blazingblu
Level 3
Can you advise how you would do this then as I couldnt seem to see an option to retain the SID/token when restoring to server with no OS installed?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
You don't need to specify anything, the SID of the source server is automatically applied to the new one. And the token is re-applied by the DCTRUSTTOKEN.EXe that runs autmatically after the restore of a DC.

I think you should anyway do a tryout in your test lab.

blazingblu
Level 3

Strange, I went to our DR site, restored a member server to different hardware and after restoring the server and rebooting it went through a process of what looked like it performing a SYSPREP. The server hardware is different at the data centre compared to that of the live environment.

DaveT
Level 4
Partner
This may shed some light on the subject...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

Respectfully,

Dave T.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Well the SYSPREP is OK for me, as I said before we restored DC successfully.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you already tried a restore? Was it successfull ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Any updates here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any news in here ?