cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition 8.0

TDMatters
Not applicable
Partner

Anyone else having trouble Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition?

Here are my complaints about the software and hopefully a semantic employable answer my questions.

1. The process to back up an individual computer to an USB external hard drive 3 1/2 hours
  2. The next step was to place the image onto a brand-new computer
  3. Loaded the CD and pressed recover my computer
  4. The screen never did ask me to customize my hardware, so my first question does the desktop edition compensate for new hardware?
  5. The desktop edition appeared to load the image in 20 minutes; however, the screen only goes to the Windows safe mode screen and then reboots
  6. The documentation on the website points to the server edition and not the desktop edition.
  7. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, since Symantec does not have a drop down box for Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop Edition when trying to e-mail support online a question.

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
(1)   Was the USB port use on the source system 1.1 or 2.0; not the drive but the actual port on the source system from which you created the image file from.(2-4) The Restore Anyware Option (RAO), that which will automate the customizing of an image to new hardware, does not present itself unless the VIEW | By File name option is selected after choosing the, “Recover my computer,” menu option.(5) 20 minutes, sounds like the drive is 2.0 connected on this destination to a 2.0 port. The Windows splash screen and then reboot is often cause by a stop error. Since the restore Anyware option was likely not selected, the stop error would often refer to an inaccessible boot device since the mass storage controller driver was not injected since RAO was not enabled. To discover the stop error in question please review the following technote document:  How to identify the Blue Screen Error Message when Windows continuously restarts after using Restore AnyWare (RAO) http://support.veritas.com/docs/293616  (6) The documentation, unless specifically stated is for a server OS, can often be consider applicable for the desktop edition.(7) Support for this product is entitlement base, please contact sales or customer care to setup entitlement for the product support.