cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Livestate Recovery Active Paging File

Mohamed_Farid
Not applicable
Dear All :
some of my servers are facing problems when trying to get their image by LiveState Version 3

The error is :
Description: Cannot create images for backup job: Backup of C:\. Error E0BB001B: Cannot lock volume \\?\Volume{e90e0560-52e9-11da-bb86-806d6172696f}\ because it contains the OS or has an active paging file.

How can I overcome this problem ?
10 REPLIES 10

Marc_Lamanna
Level 2
I am experiencing this same problem, Does anyone have any suggestions or work arounds please?

Jason_McDaniel
Not applicable
I am having the same problem. BackupExec System Recovery Server Edition Version: 6.5.0.14095. The only thing is that both servers that I am having the problem with are 64-bit Windows 2003 Servers.

cindy_k
Level 4
Hi Jason - did you ever resolve this problem? I'm getting the same error and
I'm running 64bit Win2K3 Servers too......Message was edited by:
cindy k

Vladimir_Vucini
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Dear All,

Please take a look at:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/pfdocs/2004051229571960

Note: Backup Exec System Recovery 6.5 is currently not designed to run under a 64 bit OS, and may give this error if customers choose to use it in this environment.

Best regards,
Vladimir Vucinic
Net++ technology

cindy_k
Level 4
I'm running Windows Server 2003 x64 which is able to run 32 bit applications.
All of my other 32 bit apps run fine ( Virus Checkers, etc ) but Symantec's
LiveState Recovery gives me this error.... how come?

techno_nerd
Level 4
Hey guys,

I would recommend trying the Beta for the newest version of BESR. It may help you out.

Symbeta.Symantec.com

Thanks,

Technonerd

cindy_k
Level 4
I installed the beta version of BESR 7.0 - and it appears to run fine
in the x64 environment - I was able to make an image of the machine...
Thanks for the info technonerd :)

JD59
Level 2
I'm running Version 7.0 on a Windows 32 bit Windows Server 2003 and I'm getting the exact same error.
-Error E0BB001B: Cannot lock volume \\?\Volume{3be0f918-52bb-11da-b994-806e6f6e6963}\ because it contains the OS or has an active paging file.

This server has a hardware RAID 5 with two OS partitions, a C:\ & D:\ partition.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this issue?

TIA!

James

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

This error usually indicates that the "symsnap.sys" driver is not properly registered.  The BESR install process registers this driver file, but we've seen rare cases where the registration process fails for some reason.  This error is one symptom of that problem.

I know that the BESR 7.0 product includes a batch file that re-registers this driver.  If I remember correctly, the batch file is named something like "fixinstall.bat" and is placed on the hard drive during installation.  Try running this batch file and then try to capture an image again.  I do not believe a reboot is required after running the batch file (I could be wrong).

For earlier versions of the product (BESR 6.0, LSR 6.0/3.0) a similar batch file is likely availble from Symantec support, and may even be available via a knowledge base document.

Thanks.

BlueFire
Level 3
Hi All,

I would start in a few areas.

I had this problem on two of our servers, there were two different fixes.  One fix included a repair of the boot.ini file, and the other fix was simply a defrag as the partition with the Windows Swap File on it was badly fragmented.

So just have a look at the boot.ini and ensure there is not anything strange going on.

I would also set your swap file to a static size, double the size of the physical ram installed in the box, run a defrag & reboot. 

Regards,