cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Restore CD errors out every time on Dell Optiplex GX520

Carbon14Online_
Level 2
I have gotten it to fully load once but it started to fail halfway through.

I downloaded the .ISO file from the FTP Symantec Site.  I formatted the first (1st) machine of 30 (after backing it up to a network share) because I need to verify the restore software actually works.

Of course, after it loads and you accept the license agreement, it asks if you want to load the Network drivers in which I respond YES (NO still gets the same results).  Partially through waiting for teh drivers load (20 seconds or so) it fails saying there was an invalid exception for something.  Even if it does magically load, the second you go to launch something from the MAIN GUI, it gives the same error. Invalid Exception error.

I've tried different CD's, different CD-ROM Drives including a DVD-R (3 tried all together).  I completely reset the BIOS by removing the BIOS battery with the computer unplugged and even still you always get the same result.  

I was hesitant to recommend a Symantec product to this customer already and they still wanted to spend the money on 30 licenses including a server license.  Now I have to tell them their software doesnt work because as usual, SYMANTEC has geared their product towards the majority of mass consumers and didn't think about actually testing the software before expecting people to pay for it.  I do a lot of business with a lot of customers and this is the LAST time I EVER recommended ANY PRODUCT MADE BY SYMANTEC.  They NEVER get it right...even after 10+ of Symantec Corporate Antivirus, close to all my customers get infected on a weekly basis with live updates every hour.

I am hoping that someone can actually provide me with some help as the users manual is useless, but I have little faith in customer support of this company as i've always been more understanding of the software than the "support" teams.  If Symantec/Norton looses money at all in 10 years, they deserve every penny lost because their products are shotty, AT BEST.
3 REPLIES 3

AJT
Level 6
Can you describe the exact error and which version of the SRD you are using. How much physical memory do you have in the PC?

Hope this helps :)

Carbon14Online_
Level 2
Whoops, how foolish of me. I think i was stuck on ranting so I forgot about that stuff.

I am using BE 2010 on Windows XP PRO SP3.  I backed up the computer by using Backup Exec System Recovery tool and backed up the computer to an external hard drive (which is also shared).  The V2i file is there and everything appeared to be okay.

So the 1 time I was able to get the DELL PC booted and working successfully from Recovery Boot CD, I formatted C: so I can test the restore but low and behold 3 mins later everything I clicked on generated this error

"V2iSR.exe"
"The application failed to initialize properly (0x00000142). Click OK to terminate the application" 

I received this error by clikcing on "RESTORE MY COMPUTER" under HOME.  No matter what I do or what application I try to run (including explorer) I get this same memory error.  I have a feeling that the requirements to run the Recovery Boot CD are 1GB or RAM and this machine has 512.  Since the manually is written by idiots for nobody, what is the best way to restore this machine?  It has NO O/S and I am not going to load an O/S to restore a file that already has that information on it (the V2i file).  I cant run the NETWORK SERVICES either as that generates the following error

"run32dll.exe"
"The application failed to initialize properly (0x00000142). Click OK to terminate the application" 

AJT
Level 6
If you can get to your backup without needing network services, boot the SRD and choose not to start the network services. Maybe this will free more memory and you can complete your recovery. I successfully booted the 2010 English SRD on an old DELL laptop which had 512 MB of RAM, I choose not to start the network services because my backup was on an external USB drive.

Hope this helps :)