1. Boot using the Windows 2008 R2 Install CD

2. Click ok to start install

3. Choose the Repair Option

4. Open the Command Window

5. Go to the following directory: X:\sources\recovery

6. type: bootrec /rebuildbcd "enter"

7. If this runs successfully: enter "Y" for yes

8. reboot

My machine gave me the same error again. Then I booted up successfully after this next step:

"Note: I tried this step one prior before the above listed steps and this repair failed"

1. Boot using the Windows 2008 R2 Install CD

2. Click ok to start install

3. Choose the Repair Option

4. Open the Command Window

5. Go to the following directory: X:\sources\recovery

6. Type: startrep

This runs a windows repair. This ran for less then a minute. I was prompted to restart. The system came up successfully.

3 REPLIES 3

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So you say "bootrec /rebuildbcd" did not work for you but "startrep" worked?

SULL2049
Not applicable

I realize this is an old post but I used a combination or I should say both options and was able to boot a 2008R2 Windows Server using Symantec System Recovery 2013.

I had a Domain Controller that had a hidden Partion (which I did back up,) a c:\ system partition, and a d:\ data partition. I chose not to set the hidden partition as active because I was unaware it needed to be set active as well as the C:\ Windows partition. I ran the recovery and received the "missing BOOTMGR" error. I was about to start over, set the hidden partition as active and restore again, taking several hours to accomplish this. Then I ran across this article.

Before I ran the 1st option and as the system was booting, the window that comes up and identifies the Windows directory and size was blank. After it rebooted and I had run the 1st option the window came up, this time showing the windows directory and size bit I still received the "MISSING BOOTMGR " error. I then ran the "startrep," booting to the Windows 2008 R2 CD, the second part of this fix.

I rebooted and the Domain Controller booted fine, gave me a logon and everything was correct and the size of all of the partitions were the size they were supposed to be. I wonder if this dual fix combination would not fix more errors such as "an attached device is not working" boot error or "winload.exe is missing" error ?

I use this product on approx. 40 servers at different clients and will post if this fix works on more than just this one error.

Thanks GML542 for saving me several hours and a few gray hairs as knowing which options to select and if a clean or wipe needs to be preformed and all of these seem to baffel Symantec as well and it seems like it is always just a "shot in the dark" when you call, even with a specific error.

gml542
Level 3

I am glad this helpped someone. I worked with Symantec for quite some time on this. They were unable to come up with a solution. This just happened to be one of those fixes that I accidently discovered and had to share it :) I also sent this fix to the symantec tech I was working with. Not sure if he did anything with this information or not.