cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2010 - email notifications

gusb4059
Level 2
Hello, Our customer install base uses Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery for backing up key servers and we have been asked the following question... We are currently configuring email notifications and in line with Symantec documentation, Errors / Warnings / Information can be selected along with the priorities of All / Medium / High. The documentation does not say however what type of scenario is regarded as an Error / Warning / Information. Test runs of the set up seem to have provided email notifications which were not quite in line with expectation; some examples include: Execution of an Auto backup is regarded as INFO (Medium) notification, with the associated generation of a recovery point (this is a routine step run during Auto backup) regarded as INFO (High); Manual backup initiation is regarded as INFO (High). (So some of the routine steps executed during Auto backup (in this example the generation of a recovery point) is ranked higher in INFO terms than the overall Auto backup itself; manually starting a backup is regarded as higher in INFO terms than auto backup.) Date: 6/28/2017 8:34:02 AM Notification Type: Info Priority: Medium Description: Info 6C8F0427: Backup Exec System Recovery service started successfully. Date: 7/9/2017 4:08:37 AM Notification Type: Info Priority: High Description: Info 6C8F1F7D: A scheduled base recovery point of drive C:\ was created successfully. Date: 6/27/2017 11:10:25 AM Notification Type: Info Priority: High Description: Info 6C8F1F63: The drive-based backup job, Manual_Sys_Backup, has been started manually. Where a backup is stopped, it is regarded as INFO (Medium): (this doesn’t seem consistent with Auto / Manual levelling mentioned in point one above). Date: 6/28/2017 8:30:24 AM Notification Type: Info Priority: Medium Description: Info 6C8F0428: Backup Exec System Recovery service stopped. Where Symantec appears to fail to back up, it is regarded as WARNING (Medium). (If a failure to execute a backup is ‘only’ a WARNING (Medium)… what then, for example, would rank higher and result in a WARNING (High) or an ERROR (either Medium or High)?) Date: 6/27/2017 10:49:42 AM Notification Type: Warning Priority: Medium Description: Error EC8F17E5: Your recovery point location of xxxx is running out of space. Please run the Cleanup Recovery Points task to free up some space. Error EBAB03F1: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. Details: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. The objective here is to try to better understand the levelling so only critical information is emailed out (and therefore avoid unnecessary notifications to users). Can you provide some assistance with this query? I can't find any documentation online that lists all error codes plus priority ratings. Please can someone assist us with this? Many thanks Fergus
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

@gusb4059

I am fairly certain that we don't have any documentation that specifically says what constitutes medium/high priority alerts for example. What I can tell you is that we have fixed some problems in these areas (for example, a backup failure being reported as 'informational') over the years.

My recommendation would be to trial the latest version of the product (currently that is VSR 16 SP1) rather than use test results for a product that is pretty old now (since 2010, we have released 2011, 2013, 2013 R2 and now VSR 16). You can get a trial copy here: https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/system-recovery

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

criley
Employee Accredited

@gusb4059

I am fairly certain that we don't have any documentation that specifically says what constitutes medium/high priority alerts for example. What I can tell you is that we have fixed some problems in these areas (for example, a backup failure being reported as 'informational') over the years.

My recommendation would be to trial the latest version of the product (currently that is VSR 16 SP1) rather than use test results for a product that is pretty old now (since 2010, we have released 2011, 2013, 2013 R2 and now VSR 16). You can get a trial copy here: https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/system-recovery

Thank you very much for your quick reply.  I will pass this information on.