cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2011, MS installation, Database Configuration

chrismatt83
Level 4

I am doing a fresh new install of SSR 2011 Management solution. Under database configuration, my question is. We have our own sql server database on a separate server (lets say name of sql server = sqlnew)

So in the location where it says "sql server name" do i type  in  "domain name\sqlnew"  ?

And lastly under database name it says "create new" or "use existing" What do i do here ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

With SSR-MS default it installs the SQL Express 2005 and it has a limitation of supporting around 500 Client Machines.

If you have a FULL version of SQL 2005 you can use that to host the SSR-MS SQL Database. You should select to Create a New DB as it would create a DB with the name Symantec_CMDB. If you already have a blank database than you can use the existing DB. But recommended would be to use the Cretae New option.

For the SQL Server Name you should be using the "ServerName\InstanceName"

Let me know if that helps.

chrismatt83
Level 4

Yeah we have a sql 2008 r2 cluster that we  would like to host all of our databases and we don't like to have the database on the same server we are installing ssr2011 ms on.

So i should create new database and it would automatically create a DB with the name Symantec_CMDB..ok

And under sql server name, i should use server name\instance name.  Server name would be the name of our external sql server name..right  ?. What would be the instance name ? Do i have to put in the instance name ?

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

A SQL Server instance is a complete SQL server and you can install many instances on a machine but you can have only 1 default instance.

A SQL Server instance has its own copy of the server files, databases and security credentials

Check this out.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa174516.aspx