cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2011 SRD will not boot.

e-charge
Level 3

Greetings all.

We've been using SSR 2011 frequently since its release without issue - imaging machines and so on.

We primarily deploy Dell machines and have recently started to use their Optiplex 790 and 990 range but have stumbled upon an issue whereby we cannot boot into the recovery environment using the SRD when a 4GB stick of RAM is installed.

Booting is successful when DIMM slots are populated with smaller capacity modules but with 4GB sticks installed, the machine gets as far as the the end of the "Windows is loading files" progress bar and then cycles back to POST.

We've never experienced booting issues with SSR/BESR before and we've been using it since it was V2i Protector so any help or a pointing finger to an update would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
e-charge.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

One of the customers has reported that the multilingual SRD worked for him. Have you tried this yet?

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to post the SSR query in the SSR forum, below is the link for the same.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-archiving/forums/symantec-system-recovery-formerl...

criley
Employee Accredited

e-charge,

This sounds very similar to something a couple of other customers have reported. We are currently looking into this issue.

I'll post back here once we have more news on this.

e-charge
Level 3

..but is this not where I've posted?

Thanks for your help Chris. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hmm that's odd the post is showing up in the Backup Exec specific forum as well (which it should not be) - judging from the information located at the bottom of your original post it looks like it somehow got posted to multiple forums when you created the post. Apologies for not noticing this.

Out of interest when you created the post did you add other forums into the creation? (just trying to find out how this happened)

criley
Employee Accredited

One of the customers has reported that the multilingual SRD worked for him. Have you tried this yet?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I can't be sure, but I think this discussion was originally posted to the BE forum and I tried to shift it to the SSR forum by editing the forum tag.  Normally, this should clear the BE forum tag, but for this discussion it did not and ended up with 2 forum tags.

Anyway, I have solved it.  I shift it to the Inside Symantec community and then back to the Backup and Archiving Community and the SSR forum.  Now it has only one forum tag, i.e. SSR,

Rohaizad
Level 3

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem with SSR 2011 Multilanguage SRD + IBM x3100 m3 machine. Boot up the disk and it will frooze at Windows is loading files. Tried to burn few other copies but the same problem occurs. 

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Along with what Chris said, have you also tried booting to the English-only SRD?

e-charge
Level 3

Greetings chaps.

I definitely posted to the SSR forum as I recall struggling to find the BESR one, forgetting it's recent rebranding.

Either way, I've only tried using the English SRD but should that really make a difference?
I would assume that the multi-lingual version would just have the english one included alongside the various other language packages?

Have you chaps made any progress on this one at all?

It won't just be me experiencing this as I've tried it on a few different machines now all with the latest chipsets, and I don't think trying the other disc is going to be a suitable solution to advise to people in need of a fix.

Thanks again.

e-charge.

criley
Employee Accredited

This is still under investigation but I can tell you that most customers are reporting that the multilingual SRD works. Can you test this and confirm?

Rohaizad
Level 3

Somehow I managed to boot with the English Only SRD but failed to boot Multiligual SRD. Doesn't matter which version since I need to test out recovery using SSR2011.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Has anyone tried burning the SRD ISO at a slower speed?

Rohaizad
Level 3

I do not think that it would help by writing the SRD ISO at a lower speed unless if the machine that will be use have a lousy optical drive. I have tried this method before and it doesnt help. Since I am having problem booting up the Multilingual SRD, I download & burned the English Only SRD and it works for me. Maybe those who are having difficulty in booting up the English Only SRD can try to use the Multilingual SRD instead.

e-charge
Level 3

Greetings all.

As suggested I've tried the multilingual disc instead and that seems to work so thanks for the suggestion.

Nice to have a little consistency between product CDs huh.

Not entirely sure if I should be marking anything as solved though as there's clearly still an outstanding issue that needs to be addressed. Symantec can't expect their english customers to have to research into why their disc doesn't boot. Even if it means just withdrawing the english SRD from the site; it'll save techies some hassle. Having said that, some are reporting that english works for them where multilingual fails so something needs to be done.

Regards,
echarge.

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks for the update.

As already mentioned, this issue is already under investigation:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH162698

I would encourage you to mark this thread as solved (even though you only have a workaround) as this will allow others to see that there is something useful/positive within the thread.

Treybo
Level 3

I am having the same problem. Has this been fixed yet?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It could. Have you tried the other SRD ISO? We have not determined it to be a proprietary hardware issue at this time, so give that a shot. If you need the download link, let me know.

Treybo
Level 3

I tried the multilingugal ISO last night and it didn't work either with the same problem mentioned above. I used it to create a Custom Recceovery disk.

We have 20 new machines of this type. Why is this taking so long to fix? Calls to tech support are painful to say the least. This problem makes our software license useless. Please have someone email me directly to talk about issuing a refund.