cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2011 - Windows Server 2003 Mouse Keyboard not responding

SamWiseTx
Level 3

Need help

I am currently trying recover to different server an image created using Symantec System Recover. 2011 The process of restoring works and finishes without any errors.I am restoring the image (cparition only) from a USB drive.

After restore is complete. the server then is rebooted and after a few minutes I receive an window looking for a dosapp.fon file. The problem here is that neither my mouse or my usb keybord respond. I cannot move past this screen. The target server is dell Poweredge T310 so PS2 ports are not an option, but only USB ports. I have tried everything posted on this article, http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87092

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SamWiseTx
Level 3

@Rijay, I followed those instructions to every word. symantec I do not know how traditional a keyboard needs to be recognized

SOLVED

Well after breaking my head for almost 5 days I found a way to make the keyboard and mouse respond.

This is what I did:

1. Did a Restore Anywhere to the new server. I used the instructions from this article. I only restore the C partition.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87092

Rebooted and saw the missing file window. no response from keyboard and mouse. 
It gave me the name and location where the recovery process was looking for it. Made a note of the name of the file and rebooted once again.

2. Booted to the Recovery CD and used the Command to look for the missing file and copy it to the location where the system was looking it for.

A.Booted to Recovery CD
B. Click on Analyze then Open Command Shell Window
C. Once on the command window, changed my directory to C:
D. Once I was on the root directory I looked for the missing file using: C:\dir dosapp.fon /s
E. The system found the file under the C:\Windows\system32\drivers
F: I then created a folder on my C: drive called i386 and copied the file to this location.
G: Rebooted the server and the server was able to find the file and continue with the restore. This loaded the drivers for my keyboard and mouse.

In my case everytime I restarted the system after the restore, I received a Missing file window trying to load the keyboard and mouse drivers. By default the system was looking for a "dosapp.fon" under the c:\i386 folder. Although my original image did not have this folder, the system tried to load the drivers from here.

After doing this I was able to recover my complete C Drive to the new server. Since the original server had an additional partition, I added a second drive and restored this here. This worked without any problems.

Thanks for all your help. I hope this notes can save some time if you encounter the same problem i had.

Thanks

SAM

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I assume you tried connecting to all available USB Ports on the server and also tried different mice and keyboards ?

SamWiseTx
Level 3

Yes, I tried 5 different sets of keyboard and mouse and tried connecting them in different slots.

I also even tried different restore server different model and same problems.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you also tried to run the restore with restore anywhere ?

SamWiseTx
Level 3

Well I selected the Restore Anywhere option while doing the backup. When I did a restore, I did not find a Restore Anywhere option other than restore my system. The restore goes fine without any errors but when the system restore for the first time I get a window looking for a dosapp.fon file. The problem is that I cannot type or move mouse to look for file.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Give the restore with restore anywhere a try:

SamWiseTx
Level 3

I did use this article to restore the server

I also selected the:

Use Restore Anyware to recover different hardware

Use this option when restoring to unlike hardware from which the original recovery point was taken.

I tried it many times and restore completes fine, but once it reboots, the system continues to look for certain files.

Sam

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, I'm out of luck. Can you open a case with Symantec ?

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you reviewed this technote?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63367

Thanks,

Riyaj

SamWiseTx
Level 3

@Rijay, I followed those instructions to every word. symantec I do not know how traditional a keyboard needs to be recognized

SOLVED

Well after breaking my head for almost 5 days I found a way to make the keyboard and mouse respond.

This is what I did:

1. Did a Restore Anywhere to the new server. I used the instructions from this article. I only restore the C partition.

Rebooted and saw the missing file window. no response from keyboard and mouse. 
It gave me the name and location where the recovery process was looking for it. Made a note of the name of the file and rebooted once again.

2. Booted to the Recovery CD and used the Command to look for the missing file and copy it to the location where the system was looking it for.

A.Booted to Recovery CD
B. Click on Analyze then Open Command Shell Window
C. Once on the command window, changed my directory to C:
D. Once I was on the root directory I looked for the missing file using: C:\dir dosapp.fon /s
E. The system found the file under the C:\Windows\system32\drivers
F: I then created a folder on my C: drive called i386 and copied the file to this location.
G: Rebooted the server and the server was able to find the file and continue with the restore. This loaded the drivers for my keyboard and mouse.

In my case everytime I restarted the system after the restore, I received a Missing file window trying to load the keyboard and mouse drivers. By default the system was looking for a "dosapp.fon" under the c:\i386 folder. Although my original image did not have this folder, the system tried to load the drivers from here.

After doing this I was able to recover my complete C Drive to the new server. Since the original server had an additional partition, I added a second drive and restored this here. This worked without any problems.

Thanks for all your help. I hope this notes can save some time if you encounter the same problem i had.

Thanks

SAM

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Feel free to mark your post as solved !