Symantec System Recovery 2011

Backup Exec 2010 DLO

which one is better ?

Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

so  SSR for desktop can be used as replacement of BE 2010 DLO ?

As I said earlier, it all depends on your requirements. If centralised management of file/folders backups is a requirement, perhaps this it not the product for you.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Hello,

Backup Exec is more for your daily backups of files and folders. Each additional server will normally backup to a dedicated media server which will then backup to Tape or Disk.

System recovery is a disaster recovery product that takes a whole snapshot of the server, to restore in minutes.

It has some granular functionality but not as much as Backup Exec.

Also with System Recovery, each server would backup to its own external drive.

criley
Employee Accredited

Also with System Recovery, each server would backup to its own external drive.

Not entirely accurate. SSR can backup almost anywhere (network share, NAS etc).

I agree with the rest of your comments though. Which one is better? It depends on what your requirements are. If you can tell us that, we can tell you which product you should be looking at.

Rakesh_Patel
Level 3
Partner Accredited

We are using Backup Exec DLO for 400 users.

SSR for Desktop  can do the same functionality  and can be managed through central console ?

i believe yes, i do not want entire image of pc  only selected file and folders  which we are taking in DLO.

criley
Employee Accredited

SSR for Desktop  can do the same functionality  and can be managed through central console ?

Yes.

i believe yes, i do not want entire image of pc  only selected file and folders  which we are taking in DLO.

You can do this (backup only selected files and folders) BUT you cannot manage file/folder backups from the central management console.

Rakesh_Patel
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks Chris

i would like to differntiate key points  can you please help ?

criley
Employee Accredited

As I said earlier, it all depends on your requirements. If centralised management of file/folders backups is a requirement, perhaps this it not the product for you.

HomeAndOffice
Level 2
Partner

We're currently using BE2010 on Server 2008, doing nightly backups to tape.

We would like to install SSR2011 to do full-images to disk, however, we want to keep the tape backups from BE.  

Can SSR2011 be installed on Server, side-by-side, with BE2010 so we can do BOTH backups?

Thanks!

criley
Employee Accredited

Can SSR2011 be installed on Server, side-by-side, with BE2010 so we can do BOTH backups?

Yes

HomeAndOffice
Level 2
Partner

Chris, thanks for the quick reply.

Any special considerations before we install it?  Will the SSR installation cause any problems for BE (or vise-versa)?

B

criley
Employee Accredited

The general rule of thumb would be to ensure that the backups don't overlap (this may seem obvious but needs a mention!).

HomeAndOffice
Level 2
Partner

Right!  But as for the software installations themselves, they're not going to interfere with each other?

Thanks!

B

criley
Employee Accredited

No, they should be able to co-exist without issue.