cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2013 Hangs SBS Server 2003 SP1

R_A_Jarvis
Level 3

When running a full complete backup of the C partition of the server it completely locks up, requireing a hard reset to be carried out.

This is a brand new install of the Backup Exec software, installed just last week, and has been happening ever since it was first installed.

Things I have done to attempt to resolve the issue:

1. Run live update to service pack the BESR software to the lastest version.

2. Switched off disk quota management (saw another example of SBS 2003 mentioned in the forums with this issue and it related to quotas).

3. Run latest patches for VSS service.

4. Disabled all exchange services, although this is a SBS server, no Exchange is used on this server, client uses POP mail.

5. Removed and reinstalled BESR software, and patched again.

I can run a full and subsequent incremental backup of the D drive which is a second partition on the same physical drive. When I try to do the same on the C drive, it spends 30 seconds at 5% and then as soon as it moves to 6% the server locks, keyboard and mouse are unresponsive and I have to pull the power from the server and restart it. There is nothing reported in the event log of either the BESR software or within the Windows event log, presumably due to the way the server hard locks before any events can be recorded.

I've installed this software on many servers, both 2003 and 2008, and have never seen this issue in the past. I'm really keen to get the issue resolved as soon as possible - so thank anyone for their help in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you have SSR 2013 installed , run service pack 2 for SSR , reboot and re-run the backup

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214768

R_A_Jarvis
Level 3

Hi There,

Thanks for yor help. I've carried out the SP install, which took the software version to 11.0.2.49853

I was initially confident, as the backup job appeared to be progressing, going further than 5%, but alas it hung at 8% - further than it had gone before.

So what should I try next?

Many thanks

R_A_Jarvis
Level 3

Any further assistance available for this please?

R_A_Jarvis
Level 3

Can anybody offer any assistance at all on this except for applying a service pack?

Paid £250 for this and can't use it straight out of the box!

Many thanks

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry for a late reply , I was on leave.

If you are performing C: and D: backup , split the job and run the backup.

The hang issue also occurs due to Internet Explorer, what version of IE is it ?

R_A_Jarvis
Level 3

Hi,

I have already split the backup into C and D, since I needed to at least run a scheduled backup on one drive without causing the scan.

The version of IE was actually v7, so having updated it to v8 I am waiting to restart the server to finish that install and test again. 

The problem I have is that each time I test the backup of the C drive I have to be physically next to the server in my customers office, which is several miles away, in case I need to hard reset it.

Are there any other 'fixes' I can apply for this kind of fault - I don't want to keep driving back and forth to the office each time to test if I can possibly help it.

Thanks

R_A_Jarvis
Level 3

Alas - upgrading to IE8 proved no different.

Server locked at 5% progress, which is the part where it starts writing to the external USB disk.

What shall I try next?

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

I would say that this issue needs a support case for more detailed investigation.

We would probably need to try and capture a hang dump using ADPlus (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38846) in order to understand which process is causing the hang.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can raise a ticket by reffering the article : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Reply from R A Jarvis

The problem I have is that I need to travel to site to test each time, becuase when the server locks up I have to physically hold the power button down to restart it. With this in mind would it be best for me to plan the next steps carefully - someone has suggested that I carry out a hang dump using ADPlus. Once I generate this would you be able to analyse it?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

DO you need any more help ? Is the issue resolved ?