cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 is now available!

criley
Employee Accredited

Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 is now available!

For more details, please refer to the following links:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-symantec-system-recovery-2013-r2-here

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH225253

Feel free to ask any questions about this release on this forum thread.

21 REPLIES 21

cyclingcpa
Level 4

Chris,

RE: Should I upgrade to SSR 2013  R2?

Testing image recovery.

Background.

I am at 11.0.249853 as of 2/2/15.

Win Pro 7 SP1 single PC. 

I am a CPA not an IT guy but for my small office I have to be both. SSR 2013 backups are going well and time to run an image recovery test. Testing image recovery from Dell 3600 (current system) precision workstation to Dell 3400 (old system not currently used so a perfect test machine),

The test recovery should be a valuable post for the forum. This would be a separate post but a follow up to  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ssr-2013-desktop-backup-jobs-win7-pro-64-and-partitio... which I would cross ref to new post and lock thread.

I am using the term "recover" to restore an image from the 3600 volume C (operating sys) and D (Data)  to and older XP 3400. I am not worried about losing data on 3400. 

Questions

Should I upgrade to latest version? Do I have to rebuild backup jobs?  Current version is working fine so I would only update if absolutely needed. I have an active license so no cost to me except the cost of my time.

Anything I should know about problems with latest version? 

Any suggestions on my recover test?

Thanks very much.

Bob

criley
Employee Accredited

Should you upgrade? If everything is working well, then there is no burning need to upgrade.

That said, I would always recommend people to upgrade to the latest version when they can. You should check your license entitlement though because you may need to pay for the upgrade..

If you do upgrade, your backup jobs will stay intact so there is no need to 'rebuild' them (unless I have misunderstood your question).

In terms of restore, please refer to the following which should help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112

Hope this helps.

cyclingcpa
Level 4

Hi Chris,

FYI I updated to SSR 2013 R2 with some bumps.

Initial install failed. Hung on final installation step. Step was estimated to take 10 minutes and hung for one hour. I rebooted and had to restore PC from a Win 7 Pro restore point. Restore was successful. However, I also have Norton Internet Security that required using the Norton removal tool. Using a restore point apparently break NIS. I reinstalled NIS successfully.

Muzafar from tech support helped me install  SSR 2013 R2

Back up jobs from prior SSR 2013 were not saved in SSR 2013 R2 install. Maybe unsuccessful initial install was cause?

SSR 2013 R2 is performing one time backup.

I will rebuild backup jobs.

Thanks for the Tech 129112.

I will post my restore test in a separate post.

Bob

aad999
Not applicable

I just upgrade my SSR 2011 to 2013 R2. The binary file was downloaded from my symantec authorized account. Now it promps me for activation key where as in my symnatec profile it says no activation key required.

Can someone please help me out?

Ali

criley
Employee Accredited

Please contact our customer care team:

http://customersupport.symantec.com/

RCottle
Level 2

I have installed this new verison on four different laptops and one PC.  I have yet to be able to create a recovery disc succussfully, whether setting for lights out or not.  It always fails to error code ECA3178D

I have also just trie to create an iso recovery disc image and that also fails to the same error code.

This product is useless if i can't completely recover a computer with it!  Guess i may need to go backwards to System Recovery 2013?  Why is it every time you release new products they don't work right?  Any fix for this?  All machines are using Windows 7 Pro x64 and Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.5

criley
Employee Accredited

Is this the issue you are seeing?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH227401

RCottle
Level 2

Yes, and No.  Yes if i try creating the a "lights out" recovery disc but even if i do not check that option i still have that same message shown here...

RCottle
Level 2

Yes, and No.  Yes if i try creating the a "lights out" recovery disc but even if i do not check that option i still have that same message shown here...

Sorry - Duplicate post

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, can you please open a support case then?

As per the article I shared (what you are seeing looks the same), this is an issue that is currently under investigation.

alegent
Level 2

Chris, I know you frequent these forums a lot, so I am asking for some help.  I have tried creating a case online, which didn't work. When I pressed the "I still need help" button, nothing happened. So I went to 'chat' and had a tech person call me. They sent me to a Sales person, which isn't what I needed.

In a nutshell, I bought SSR 2013 R2 over a year ago. In moving it to an SSD drive, it would no longer accept my license. They wanted to sell me another year at $70, when all I want to do is get my current copy working again. I'm not asking for technical support. Am I forced to buy a new license every year?

This has left a bad taste in my mouth. I am currently running the trial version again.

Is there a solution to this?

Mike

weff
Level 4

[Not a Symnatec person - just have some knowledge of SSR as a user for the past few years and have been browsing these forums out of curiosity...]

@Mike,

I'm curious about the problem you are having with the license.

If you've made a backup of the previous hard drive, then restored that backup to the SSD in place of the previous hard disk then when you boor into the SSD it should have all your software intact (including license) and should just run as per normal.

Since the majority of the hardware (excluding the system drive) will be identical Microsoft will automatically validate the Windows license while I didn't think that SSR cared about the hardware. If it requires you to have a current support contract to activate on a new system drive(but keeping all the software identical) that would be a pain and would not be accepted.

What is happening to prevent the license being accepted ?

Is there a particular error message you are encountering ?

Maybe someone here has already encountered this error before if you could document it here.

Would I also be corect in assuming that tou are running under Windows 8.1 and using the latest version of the software to which you have entitlements. From what I can gather the software support is licensed for a certain time period - software versions released in a time period for which you don't have a valid support contract for will not validate with your license. So if SP3 was released after your support contract period had expired - then installing SP3 on your system and entering your license should fail. However, if SP2 was valid during your support contract period - so go back to SP2 and your license would then be accepted again.

That is the normal way software maintenance contracts operate so it means that in order to download updated software versions and have them be operational with your license you will need a current software maintenence contract.

The same will apply with Windows 10 Support when it will be released in Q4 - you will need a current software maintence contract in order for SP4 of SSR to accept your SSR R2 license. The good thing is that you can still run your software without a license (as well as make system backups) - you just cannot create SRD disks or restore backups of that version without a license matching that version too.

So if you might have moved to the latestService Pack for SSR SP3 and your license isn't valid for the time period in which SP3 was released - that might prevent your license being accepted.

Also - if any of what I have written here is incorrect I would appreciate knowing as I would like to properly understand how SSR 2013 R2 operates - especially if I am making suggestions.

tmodel46
Level 3

Mike,

back in 2013 I was using Norton Ghost to backup my PC. Having a restoreable image was vital to me and that did the job for me. Norton quit support of Ghost so Symantac came up with Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition which I purchased in June of 2013.  The tool saved my butt a couple of times since then.

I am not an Enterprise user, just a old service tech, retired after 45 years with Burroughs/Unisys. My PC was running 8.1 Windows and was resently update to Windows 10.  That upgrade was the smoothest of all the upgrades I have ever done. Had some driver issues but that was expected. Then my SSR 2013 Desktop Edition had to be re-registered and it would not work, as everyone knows. I do not think I have any upgrade optons with my License for SSR I own. 

I am at a lost of what I can do next. I am about to dump Symantec SSD and Norton 360 Premier and use other vendors. I am very disappointed in Symantec by them not being prepaired for this release.

I am open any suggestions but it may be best if we could talk. Not sure of the best way to communicate that in this forum.

weff
Level 4

@tmodel46 & Mike - the error seems very much like the one documented in the following thread which also has customer generated workarounds for it.

If you are trying to run SSR 2013 R2 (and probably SSR 2013)  under Windows 10 then there is a workaround to fix the licensing issue which is documented in the thread in this same forum called

"Windows 10? New software update for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition?"

A bit of the way down Page 1 there is a message by CJM that fixes the problem with SSR 2013 R2 by changing the Compatibility mode of the key executable that determines whether you are running under a supported operating system or not.   This fix is likely to also work with SSR 2013 - since you were running ok under Windows 8.1 previously and and is likely to also then reactivate your license automatically. (mine did).

Similarly on Page 2 of that same thread near the end there is a simple fix documented ( by weff ) that tackles 2 other problems with running under Windows 10  This is also likely to work with SSR 2013 version

1. the SRD Wizard won't run (fix = change compatibility mode to Windows 8.1) on SRD creator executable

2. Some PC's may have issues in that Typical mode SRD creation will not work. It will fail with an error like ECA3232B: and ECA3232C: - the solution at present is to run in Advanced mode.

3. In addition, under Windows 10 where you have to run SRD Creator Wizard in Advanced mode then it is likely that the iso it creates will not boot fully as it fails with an error with a missing dll - oledlg.dll. There is a simple fix also documented in the patch.

I won't repeat the text inline for either patch - please refer to the other thread -

Page 1  .. CJM documented fix

Page 2      weff  documented simple fix. - This is towards the end of page 2 and not the start of page 2 which was a fix but it was complicated to apply and needed to be done after each SRD iso was created. The simple fix at the end of page 2 is done just once and then you shouldn't need to apply again.

Since this work was done with SSR 2013 R2.SP3 version I do not know what differences there will be with the SSR 2013 version properly running under Windows 10. As you have found - to get support for SSR 2013 R2 you need to have a valid support contract - so if yours has expired you will only be able to run with SSR 2013 - but make it think that you are still running under Windows 8.1

Please give that a try as both fixes are really easy to apply and are likely to fix your problems. (I think someone has already done so and it ran ok - but that is also in that Windows 10 thread.

I have found that the later version works fine - but both versions now detect the Operating System version and disable the license and SRD Disk Creator Wizard under Windows 10.

There are also caveats to this fix - Do at your own risk - but I have tested this to the extent of a full Windows 10 restore from an image created under Windows 10 and written back using a newly created SRD boot disk. The creates and restores have been fine - but there has been a report of someone having issues trying to restore an encrypted file - but nothing beyond that. PC's with vanilla systems and not relying on special Windows 10 only features should be ok... but also no guarantees.

alegent
Level 2
Running Win 7, not 8.1. My whole system is hosed trying to restore. Sad to spend $75 on an app and find out that when you need it, it doesn't work.

CQ
Level 5

alegent,

Could you give us a few more details about what is happening?  Like weff, I am a long time user and have never run into a license issue with the same SSR version in the Win 7 world.  You don't need to pay a fee every year unless you want support and the right to upgrade to new versions.

When you say your system is "hosed" trying to restore, what do you mean?  What errors are you getting?

Thanks,

CQ

criley
Employee Accredited

In a nutshell, I bought SSR 2013 R2 over a year ago. In moving it to an SSD drive, it would no longer accept my license.

What operating system are you running? If you send me your license via private message on these forums, I can verify that you have the correct license.

And no, it is not necessary to purchase a new license each year.

cawolfe39
Not applicable

Regarding the license issue with Windows 10: I contacted tech support with chat/remote control and they directed me to a patch that was downloaded and created a file VProSvc.exe with which I replaced the installed file of the same name in Program Files/Symantec/Symantec System Recovery/Agent/. I am sorry but I don't have the link to the patch. Maybe you can contact tech support via chat and get to it. I did have to restart my computer after replacing the file. It would then accept my license key.

I still am not able to create a System Recovery Disk. The wizard claims that "The system does not meet the requirements..."

Good luck.

cw

criley
Employee Accredited

All the details, including the patch itself, are here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH231698