cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2013 causes the Exchange console to fail

slavishrook
Level 3
When the services are enabled and running for symantec system recovery 2013, the Exchange 2010 console and powershell (on SBS 2011) no longer starts. it sticks at "initializing" and goes no further and throws no error.
If i then try to stop the services for SSR2013 the service states "stopping" and the process tied to the service (SymTrackServicex64.exe) can't be ended manually, the only way out is to reboot the server.
If I boot the server with the SSR 2013 services disabled, exchange works fine until I re enable them.

Any help with this would be appreciated as I am unable to see anything similar when scouring the web!

Craig
7 REPLIES 7

criley
Employee Accredited

A few questions:

1. What service pack for Exchange 2010 are you running?
  2. What service pack for SSR 2013 (check in help/about for version details)?
  3. When the issue occurs, what (if any) errors are seen in application/system event logs?

slavishrook
Level 3

Chris,

Thanks for looking into this with me. Exchange is on service pack 1 update rollup 8.

Unfortunately as I can't open the SSR console I an unable to say exactly what service pack level this is at. If I enable the services and then open SSR, chaos will consume my day as remote users are unable to collect mail and the EMC/Powershell stops working. When I was becoming suspicious that SSR may be the problem, the first thing I did was to run a liveupdate.... there were no updates available as the product was fully up to date. This was last week, so I assume SSR is on the latest service pack level.

When the problem occurs the event logs remain completely clear or any errors or warnings. the only clue that there's a problem is the inability to stop the  symtrackservice. The service states "stopping" while at the same time I can see SymTrackServicex64.exe running in task manager. I am unable to end process SymTrackServicex64.exe via task manager or by using PSkill, procexp, process hacker etc. the only way to kill the process is to disable the SSR services and reboot.

Craig

slavishrook
Level 3

Chris,

Thanks for looking into this with me. Exchange is on SP1 UR8.

If I start SSR to check the version is will stop the EMC from working and stop remote users collecting mail. This would ruin my day :\  However.... a few days ago when I suspected SSR was causing my exchange issues I ran a liveupdate on it and it stated "no updates available" implying it was fully up to date.

No errors or warnings in the event logs, just the process SymTrackServicex64.exe stuck running in task manager. can't end the process in task manager, process explorer, process hacker etc whilst the process SymTrackService is stuck in a "stopping" state so I have to disable SSR services and then reboot the server.

thx,

Craig

criley
Employee Accredited

If I start SSR to check the version is will stop the EMC from working and stop remote users collecting mail. This would ruin my day :\  However.... a few days ago when I suspected SSR was causing my exchange issues I ran a liveupdate on it and it stated "no updates available" implying it was fully up to date.

You can still check the installed version by going to Control Panel | Programs | Uninstall a program - look for SSR and the version column.

slavishrook
Level 3

Chris,

the version of SSR is 11.0.2.49853

Cheers,

Craig

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, that is the latest version available.

Do you have a support case open for this issue?

slavishrook
Level 3

Chris,

We don't have support for the product so I'm scouring the web for help... any input from Symantec though would be appreciated.

Craig