cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2013 errors

TerrierJim
Level 2

Hi

I have been unable to successfully backup a particular server for a few weeks now. It was working fine for years but suddenly stopped working. I have tried reinstalling SSR but it did not fix the issue.

This server is a vmware VM running Windows Server 2012.

Here is the error message from the SSR console:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: SERVER_NAME.
Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3 cannot read 8192 sectors starting at LBA 156769912.
Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The device is not ready.' (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery

Here are the warnings and errors from the applicaiton log:

There was insufficient disk space on volume D: to grow the shadow copy storage for shadow copies of D:.  As a result of this failure all shadow copies of volume D: are at risk of being deleted.

The shadow copies of volume D: were aborted because the shadow copy storage failed to grow.

I don't have shadow copies enabled on the volume.

The volume has 30% free disk space.

No idea what to do now! I've got SSR running on 20+ servers without any issues. This is the only one causing me problems.

Hoping someone can advise.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

criley
Employee Accredited

@TerrierJim

Could you provide a screenshot of the error/warning that is shown in the windows event logs please?

Hi criley

Attached, thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

@TerrierJim

Thanks. Just to be clear; this looks to be a VSS issue, nothing to do with System Recovery itself.

Might be an idea to use the vssadmin list shadowstorage command to get more details. Ref: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd348398.aspx

When I run that command I just get 'no items found that satisfy the query'.

Is that normal?

criley
Employee Accredited

@TerrierJim

I suspect that's because shadow copies are not enabled... I've just noticed that from your original post.

Perhaps enable them and try again? Any reason they are disabled?

I've decided to stop using SSR for this server. Thanks for your advice though.