cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2013 r2 sp4 & Server 2008 r2 BSOD

TxHarley
Level 3

I am backing up a Server 2008 R2 with Symantec System Recovery 2013 r2 sp4.  The image backups fine.  When we do a restore we get one of the following errors BSOD stop 7b, No operating system found, etc

I have found this article on Microsoft and Veritas which talks about the C:\Boot files being located inside the image file.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH125582

Within this article it talks about how it is backed up with the image of course, but when it is restored it is written twice: once by ASR Writer and then again by the image file with the end result of the GUID not matching.

Here is Microsoft's explanation:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2261423

So then if the C:\Boot is located in the image file to exclude it when you do a restore of the image.  Unfortunately I have no luck in trying to find out how to exclude this on a restore or even during a disk-based backup.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

I have and currently working with Veritas but do not have a resolution.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14

criley
Employee Accredited

That stop code usually indicates a driver issue. I assume you are restoring to different hardware?

Are you following this restore procedure? https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000006864

TxHarley
Level 3

Yes we are following the restore procedure and the backup procedue.  I have been on the phone with Veritas for a week now.

Have you restore a Server 2008 r2 machine with only the c:\boot and no reserve partition?

Thank you for responding.

TxHarley
Level 3

Oh sorry we are working on a vSphere restore right now.  Same setup on the Hardware settings.  We are having issues with our physical also.  When we restore then it is to the same hardware.

criley
Employee Accredited

So for this issue, are you restoring to same or different hardware? Is this physical to physical, or physical to virtual etc?

TxHarley
Level 3

virtual to virtual

criley
Employee Accredited

So I assume (please confirm) that restore anyware is NOT enabled? Are the source and destination virtual machines on the same vSphere host?

Any difference between the 2 virtual machines?

TxHarley
Level 3

So I assume (please confirm) that restore anyware is NOT enabled?

The Veritas technicians had me 2 times run restore without restore anyware, and the last one had me run it with it enable with only check mark for delete drivers. 

Are the source and destination virtual machines on the same vSphere host?

No.  We are in a critical environment, so we have a vSphere setup in a lab that we are testing with Veritas.  I performed a manual (not schedule) backup of the virtual machine I want to test with Veritas with to see if we are doing something wrong or if there is a bug in the software.  The backup image is then stored on our Data Storage.

I am testing with the Veritas technican on a vSphere Lab.  So the source of the backup image is not on the same vSphere as the restore of the same backup Image.

We lost a blade with six virtual machines on it and could not restore ANY of them.  All of them running Server 2008 r2 operating system, 4 running SSR 2013 sp2 and 2 running SSR 2013 sp4.  I was testing the software on the machines to see if it conficted with our 3rd party software we run which is critical.  We had to rebuild from scratch all 6 machines.

Any difference between the 2 virtual machines?

Sorry if I am confusing you.  There is only 1 virtual machine I am testing with right now with the Veritas Technician.  I backed up the source virtual machine on a different vSphere; then I am trying to restore it to another vSphere using the backup image from the data storage.

criley
Employee Accredited

If the source and destination virtual machines are configured in the same way (i.e. same storage controllers), then restore anyware should be disabled.

Which volume(s) were backed up? Just volume C?

Another option is to do a P2V (physical to virtual conversion). I know the source machine was virtual but SSR actually 'sees' it as physical (it does not care). A P2V would convert the image (v2i) to VMDK format (upload directly to ESXi). May be something worth trying here.

For your current testing, is the source server still available?

TxHarley
Level 3

Yes the source and destination configured the same way and same storage controllers.  We tried to restore with restore anyware disabled.  We are trying to get Veritas to help figure out why they will not restore. 

We do not want to P2V to get this work.  We want the backup images to work with the restore.  We have over 400 machines at this location and we pay for SSR 2013 on all of them.  We need the backup software to work.

That is why I am working with Veritas to find out what is wrong whether it is our procedure or bug in the software.

criley
Employee Accredited

We do not want to P2V to get this work.  We want the backup images to work with the restore. 

Yes, I understand that. I was not sure how critical this was - I was just offering you a potential workaround.

Is ths source machine still available?

TxHarley
Level 3

This is critical to get the images to work for all machines.  Yes the one we rebuilt is available. 

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you run BCDEDIT from a command prompt on the source machine and then provide the results?

You could do the same on the restored (destination) server (boot from recovery disk, run command prompt) and then compare the results. On the destination server, this command will need to be run when the server is in the non-bootable state (after restore).

This wont fix the issue but may give us some clues.

TxHarley
Level 3

Source machine for the backup image using BCDEDIT:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-a903a39889b5}
displayorder            {current}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Server 2008 R2
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-a903a39889b5}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-a903a39889b5}
nx                      AlwaysOff

This is from the destination that we are trying to restore:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
description             Windows Boot Manager
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {default}
resumeobject            {xxxxxxxxxxxxx-bacf-a903a39889b5}
displayorder            {default}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {default}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Server 2008 R2
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {xxxxxxxxxxxx-a903a39889b5}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-a903a39889b5}
nx                      AlwaysOff

TxHarley
Level 3

I have been working on this issue with VERITAS SUPPORT 1-866-837-4827 since 05/05/2016 and we are not getting anywhere.  I have been through about 6 different outsourcing technicians and we have restore the same machine approximately 12 times.  They have no resolution to this.

I have requested to speak with their back line support directly and have not been granted that.  If you have a contact person for me at Veritas that would be greatly appreciated also.

If you have had similar problems with not being able to restore a Server 2008 r2 machine with the boot files locating at c:\boot or even with its own boot partition; please post here.

Any help you can post here would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you