cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery 2013

FGS
Level 3

Hi,
I want to image obsolete Windows Server 2008 R2 nodes with Virtual Machines in a Cluster. With the node hardware being obsolete will Symantec System Recovery 2013 be able to recreate the node image in the cluster on a new bare metal server?
Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, that is what SSR 2013 is designed to do.You can restore the system even if it has different hardware than was found in the original computer from which the recovery point was made. It lets you make the necessary changes for the system to be able to start. Depending on your configuration, you may need to make additional changes for the computer to run exactly as it did previously and resestablish the cluster communication.

Chris put together an excellent list of helpful links. Check page 253 of the SSR 2013 user's guide: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/useful-information-symantec-system-recovery-ssr-custo...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

With restore anywhere enabled it should.

FGS
Level 3

For clarity, I have few questions:

1. Do I have to install Symantec System Recovery 2013 on each Windows 2008 server to do the recovery bakup or will it boot from the CD-ROM and then I can do a non intrusive backup on an external USB hard drive?

2. Do I need to have a separate SSR 2013 license for each Windows 2008 server to be bakup?

Thanks

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Regarding 1. = You can boot from a CD and run a cold backup.

Regarding 2. I think yes, but you should contact the licensing department to clarify this: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO42310

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The backups from CD does require a licensed version os SSR 2013, which is per machine. These are non-intrusuve, but obviously the machine is backed up in the powered down state rather than a live VSS-aware backup from within Windows.

If you are running VM's, there is a SSR 2013 VM license pack which allows more flexibility in a VM environment. For more information, check out the pricing on the Symantec website or give the sales team a call. 

FGS
Level 3

Andy,

As for non-intrusive backups from CD the machine is backed in the power down state rather than a liveVSS-aware backup. May I know in this power down state will I loose any VMs or applicationson the server?

Thanks

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Either way, cold or hot backup, it will be a full backup and you will not lose any information.