cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec folder lost and cannot be installed

bosezi
Not applicable

Hi,

Recently, I found the Symantec folder is empty.

I tried to fix it:

a)      I tried to modify it, But a error happens: The “Symantec backup exec system recovery.msi” cannot be recognized.

"Windows installer-The path"E:\install\symantec backup exec system recovery.msi" cannot be found..."

b)      Try to re-install Symantec, an error happened: "Error 1720. Therre is a problem with this windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run...."

Anyone can help provide some suggestions on how to re-install the software please?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows Registry Editor can have disastrous results on a server Operating System. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows Registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the Registry Editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

Check the data value for the InstallDir element on the following key(s):

64-bit system:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\10.0

32-bit system:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\10.0

If it is reporting the path: E:\install\symantec backup exec system recovery.msi change it to a local copy of the install folder, then reboot, and then attempt a repair install. If that fails you may want to consider a manual uninstall method: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55097

-Dave