Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec system recovery 2011

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

I would like to know few things is it true or not:

1) Is this product is providing agent less backup for VM (Without installing agent on virtual machines can able to take a backup by just deploying pliugin inside VCenter or VSphere?

2) De-duplication feature is available or not in SSR 2011?

3) Is it supporting tape drive or tape library or not?

4) This product having feature of restore any where but is it working in Linux enviroment also or not?

5) This product support VMware, Hyper-v Citrix XEN but is it supporting Red Hat Enterprise VM or other Virtual platform?

6) This product can convert P2V and V2P but what if i want to convert V2V is it possible?

7) What about disk level backup.

Request you to please answere me ASAP.

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited

1. No. You must install SSR inside each guest machine running on ESX. For Hyper-V, you can just backup the entire host machine so SSR is not required to be installed inside each guest machine.

2. No.

3. No. If you want tape drive support, you should look at Backup Exec.

4. No ability to perform restore anyware for Linux yet.

5. Refer to the SCL for details on what is supported: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157280.

6. Not sure what you mean. Can you explain in detail please?

7. What about it? SSR backs up at the sector level.

Hope that helps.

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

Mr. Chris,

my question was "This product can convert P2V and V2P but what if i want to convert V2V is it possible?"

which means this software can convert P2V, V2P but what if i am having vms in vmware and now i want to convert it into hyper-v supporting vms or for other virtualization application.

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you saying you want to convert an ESX guest to a guest running in Hyper-V? In other words, go from vmdk to vhd?

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

yup i have few VMs in ESX and i want to convert them from ESX to Hyper-v..

is it possible..

another one thing

To achieve data protection and prepare for disaster recovery Symantec
requires two backups: file/application with BE and disk image with SSR.

can i restore my data file by file.. by using single solution SSR or i need to use BE and SSR both.

Regard's

Jack Sperow

criley
Employee Accredited

You cannot use SSR to convert directly from vmdk to vhd. You would need to backup your ESX VM and then convert that recovery point to VHD format.

And yes, you can do granular restores of files/folders using SSR.

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

For using Granular recovery, do i need to install its managment console..

I check, managment console will come after deploying Altiris.

is it required..

criley
Employee Accredited

No, the management solution is not required for granular recovery.

There are 3 methods of doing granular recovery and they are all part of the core product:

1. Granular Restore Option

2. Recovery Point Browser

3. Mount the recovery point in Windows (right-click/mount) and copy the required data

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

Mr. Chris,

IS SSR can support Retention, Multi-destination copy data, or data replication from one storage to another.

And as you said it can do Granular restore so is it having backup catalog and search option..

What i need to do for restoring disk image backup, like any bootable media by that i can restore my server or Work station, like in end point we are getting bootable CD for scan system.

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you please mark this thread as solved and create a new post for any further questions you have.

Thanks.

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

this is my last question and my object will be done..

please reply ..

criley
Employee Accredited

Retention? You can keep multiple recovery point sets assuming you have enough disk space to store them. Not sure if that answers this question.

Multi-destination copy data - what do you mean by this exactly?

Yes, you can search recovery points if you need to.

SSR provides a 'recovery disk' (known as SRD) which you can boot from and restore your recovery points in the event of hardware failure or if the operating system does not boot.