cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symatec System Recovery 2013 R2 Crashes

seekingsupport
Level 3

I am running a trial of Symatec System Recovery 2013 R2.

I want to try a restore of a whole image but it seems I need to create a recovery disk.  I want to try the disk recovery feature but it fails, either nothing happens when I press the option or I get:

tmp402C.png

The program seems really buggy, crahes a lot and obtaining support via the official channels is a real nightmare (i.e. nothing so far), thus I would like to make sure that the software works before I buy.

Also, will I be able to use the recovery disk on a trial license?

25 REPLIES 25

criley
Employee Accredited

What operating system are you seeing this issue on?

Also, will I be able to use the recovery disk on a trial license?

Yes.

seekingsupport
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit SP1

How can I create a recovery disk (i.e. and avoid this crash)?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

seekingsupport
Level 3

Thank you for your suggestion, however this does not help as there is no VProRecovery folder in my installatation.

I have Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 installed.

This is a clean installation of Windows 7 Ulimate SP1 64-bit, then installing Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2  but I get this crash.

Is this product usable on this platform?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

criley
Employee Accredited

Please confirm the service pack level of SSR you have installed. Check in Help/About for specific version details.

seekingsupport
Level 3

It is the version download from the site, i.e.

seekingsupport
Level 3

LiveUpdate says:

The following Symantec products and components are installed on your computer.

> LiveUpdate

> Norton Ghost

Initializing...

Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...

Downloading catalog file (1 of 2), product up-to-date.

Downloading catalog file (2 of 2), product up-to-date.

All of the Symantec products installed on your computer are currently up-to-date. Remember to check for new updates frequently.

LiveUpdate session is complete.

criley
Employee Accredited

SSR is fully up-to-date.

Do you have Norton Ghost installed?

seekingsupport
Level 3

Thank you for the suggestion.  An earlier version of Norton Ghost was installed I removed that and reinstalled and now the software is much more stable.

My latest problem is that the Use Restore Anywhere option is not available.  I need to use Restore Anywhere (as the backup was made on a different PC)  currently when I restore without this option the system fails to boot.

Why is Use Restore Anywhere option not available?  I looked at help but it does not explain.  How can I enable Use Restore Anywhere option?  Is this because I am on a trial or does it need to be set when making the backup?

criley
Employee Accredited

An earlier version of Norton Ghost was installed I removed that and reinstalled and now the software is much more stable.

Interesting. I thought we had built in a check for Ghost when SSR is installed (i.e. SSR should detect Ghost and prompt for it to be removed). What version of Ghost was installed?

If you look at the screenshot you provided, you can see the target drive is showing as invalid. I suspect that is the reason why you cannot enable the restore anyware option (you cannot proceed with the restore if the target drive is invalid - that needs fixing first).

Just to clarify; you can do this type of restore in trial mode and you do not need to set anything when doing the backup.

seekingsupport
Level 3

Thank you for the reply and suggestions.

I changed the target drive to a different drive but I still cannot tick Restore Anywhere.  Any ideas?

(I will let you know which version of Norton Ghost shortly - just restoring)

criley
Employee Accredited

Hmm, not sure on this.

Can you provide details of the hardware for the source machine (where you backed up) and the target machine (where you are restoring to).

criley
Employee Accredited

A couple of comments ....

Does (or did) the machine you backed up have a system reserved partition? If yes, this must be restored otherwise Windows won't boot.

Did you use the 'system' option when selecting your recovery point for restore? More details here:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000006864

seekingsupport
Level 3

Source machine is 298GB NTFS, Intel i5

Target Machine: 149GB SSD SATA, Intel Core TM2

How can I find out from the image file is there is a system reserved partion included in the image?  There is no option to select or change this on restore - so maybe not?

On Restore I select:

Set drive Active

Restore original disk signature

Restore master boot record

but Restore Anywhere is still disabled

Will explore system restore tomorrow and let you know

seekingsupport
Level 3

I tried using both system and data options when restoring but the Restore Anywhere feature does not enable it is always disabled.  If I attempt to restore it does restore the image but Windows crashes with a BSOD (to fast to capture) and resets so I expect that this is becasue the "Restore Anywhere" is not working

Any ideas how I can use "Restore Anywhere"?  Thank you for your help here!

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This may help : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041781     

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm looking into the issue of why restore anyware is disabled. We may need to collect some logs from you in order to figure out what is going on here (I'll let you know what is needed).

I'm now out of office for a few days so I will get back to you later this week.

seekingsupport
Level 3

Thank you for the further suggestion.

The only difference here was the additional step to clean the disk/volume before the restore.  I successfully cleans the disk and when using the Recovery Wizard it initially inialized the disk

However, after this, the Restore Anywhere option still appears disabled.  I tried with both System and Filename methods.

Any ideas?

criley
Employee Accredited

To figure out why the option is greyed out, please do the following:

1. Reproduce the issue (so run the restore wizard and get to the point where the option is greyed out)
  2. Then collect these logs (http://www.veritas.com/docs/000089420). So you'll need to cancel the restore, then go back to the home screen and gather the logs. It's important that you do NOT reboot the machine in between seeing the issue and collecting the logs - logs collected this way will be useless.

Please attach the logs to this thread.