cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Management Log, error how to clear from manager

MathewJ
Level 3
A number of our systems have failing hard drives, they function but might have bad blocks or are on their way out, when we install System Recovery Desktop and attempt to run a backup the management console will record the error and give us notification (Error text in job progress column and "at risk" in the backup status column. We will then manually ghost the drives, replace them, and re-run the job successfully however the backup status will still read "at risk" even though when you check the system says that it is protected and backed up by the system. The only way I have found to clear this warning is via removing the system from the console and then uninstalling completely from the client and reinstalling/adding into the console. Is there an easier way to do this?

As for out site, currently have 61 desktop systems of various makes (Dell, HP, and Custom) with backup exec desktop client installed, one HP server running the Management console, all of the systems are on various subnets. Our ultimate goal is for about 230-260 systems reporting into the console which is why we woiuld like to make this as easy as possible. Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

If the volumes you want to protect are indeed protected, yet Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) still reports the system as "At Risk", it usually means that at some level, BESR believes an unprotected volume still exists in the system.

Please try the following:

Check Status Of Each Volume On Client
It's likely you have already done this, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.  On the "Computers" tab of the "Manage" page in the BESR Manager console, click the "At Risk" link on the appropriate client.  When the status details page appears, click on the "Drive Status" button.  If any drives show up as not being protected, you can assign the client additional backup jobs to cover those volumes.  If the additional volumes do not need backup job protection, optionally you can select each volume that is showing up as at risk and click the "Status Reporting" button.  Instead of "Full status reporting" you can select "Errors only" or "No status reporting".  Any of the latter two options will prevent that volume from affecting the overall status reporting of the client.

Check For "Phantom" Volumes
Sometimes, especially in cases when a system has its drive replaced, the BESR client will "remember" the old drive.  Completely uninstalling BESR from the client would likely clear up this problem.  Here are some additional options:

1.  At the client system itself, open the BESR console.  On the "Advanced" tab, check for any volumes marked with a "?".  Right-click and remove these volumes.  This should prevent these volumes from affecting the overall status of the system.

2.  At the client system itself, stop the BESR service.  Delete all files in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Logs" and then restart the BESR service.

Note: Option 2 is the equivalent of "wiping the memory" of the BESR client.  It will no longer know anything about previously run backups (although backup jobs assigned to the client will remain).

Thanks.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

I'm glad to hear that.  As I revisit this post, it appears I actually suggested you clean out the wrong folder.  Instead of \logs, I meant to suggest you clean out \history.

But hey, if the issue is cleared up, there probably isn't a reason to take any further action.

Thanks.

MathewJ
Level 3
Hey Bill,

actually I deleted my response as the log didn't work, but I tried deleting the history on my own and that cleared the error...for some reason even though I replace the drive with a good one the history will remain...

My process is, install backup exec, attempt a backup, backup fails with cyclic redundancy check, use ghost 10 to image drive and ignore errors, pull image back down onto new good drive, and then re run backup....the backup will succeed but the "at risk" error will remain until I wipe out the history.

Thanks though.

Message Edited by Mathew J on 07-26-200709:00 AM