cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 16 to 18 upgrade procedures

BJB
Level 5

I am currently running Veritas System Recovery 16 Desktop edition on Windows 10 and want to upgrade to the current version 18 (18.03.57044) version. I have downloaded the current version from my license login.

Can I just install over my old version and it will maintain my settings and backup logs and jobs?

I looked at the FAQ but I think it was talking about updating within each number series using liveupdate, etc.  It did not seem to address my situation.

Thanks,
BJB

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB 

Can I just install over my old version and it will maintain my settings and backup logs and jobs?

Yes and Yes!

View solution in original post

akihiro1
Employee

I introduce the easiest method not to fail.

1. To upgrade from version 16 to version 18 SP4 or to update from the older build for version 18 to version 18 SP4, please download "System_Recovery_18.0.4_57077_Multilingual_Product.zip" from "Base and upgrade installers" in the below URL. You can upgrade and update using this installer.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/downloads/detail.REL215901

2. Right-click System_Recovery_18.0.4_57077_Multilingual_Product.zip and press "unblock" button like Figure 1 in the below URL on a machine that you would like to upgrade or update to SP4.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100011953

3. Unzip System_Recovery_18.0.4_57077_Multilingual_Product.zip.

4. Confirm your machine has IP address for DNS server by a command "ipconfig /all" on a command prompt. If IP address for DNS server is not registered, please do it like Figure 5 in the below URL.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100046027

5. Double-click Browser.exe in the unzipped folder. If you experience the message “Some files used for the Veritas System Recovery installation are corrupt. Please use a valid media for installation.”, instead of Browser.exe, install using Setup.exe in SSR32 (for 32bit) or SSRx64 (for 64bit) folder like below.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100031615

6. After installation completes, please reboot your machine.

7. After rebooting, version 18 SP4 will be active on your machine. The existing backup jobs and backup histories are kept.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB 

Yes and Yes!

I just installed VSR 18 SP3 OVERTOP of SSR 2013 R2 SP6 !!!!!!

in addition I did Altiris Mangement Agents SSR 2011 to Agent 18SP3... 

@criley 

I put aside some time to run the upgrade from 16 to 18.

I am running the most current version of Windows 10, just upgraded last week.

I ran browser.exe and the main screen came up with the install prompt, articles to read, etc.

I hit install....got a dos box and then a windows permission request, said OK.

Saw a bar of progress and it said "Loading the install please wait"....

Then the bar disappeared and I was left back at the main browser screen, the same one with the install option, articles to read etc.

Any ideas?  I vaguely remembering this happening years ago but can't believe that issue is still around so many years later.

Thanks,
BJB

@Riggzie,

That is great!  Mine did not go so well....

Thanks,
BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB 

I would check the following to see if it helps: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100011953.html

@criley 

I will try this, it looks familiar.

I see in the notes a bootable USB is now supported with EUFI bios.

How big of a flash drive is required?

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB 

It does not require much space - I believe a drive of at least 1GB should be enough.

Thanks, using that FAQ and "unblocking" the zip file allowed it to install.  Strange it still does that, different PC, different OS, same issue years later.

I put in a 3+gig USB drive and when trying to create a recovery disc it said "Supported USB device not found".  It was formatted FAT32 and seems more than large enough.....   Is a larger size required? The help file says it supports FAT32 or NTFS up to 2TB....so, why won't it recognize my USB drive?

Also, I noticed that I no longer have a System recovery icon in the tray icon area to right click and start, execute other commands.  How do I get this back?  It is selected in program options.

Finally, if a scheduled backup is missed (say the NAS is not on for some reason) how can you execute it?   If I go to advanced I can see "attendtion needed" but cannot see run missed backup.  This used to be an option if I right-clicked on the icon in the tray icon area.

Thanks,
BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB 

Not sure why your USB device is not detected - we'll probably need to review logs to understand that one. Can you open a support case please?

In terms of the system tray icon, have you confirmed that this option is enabled in Tasks--Options--Tray Icon? If it is already enabled, try restarting the Veritas System Recovery service to see if this helps. Once you have this option showing, you will be able to use it to manually run a missed backup.

@criley 

Thanks, appreciate your help as always.

As I noted below I have already checked the tray icon settings in options and it was set. I turned it on/off, rehit apply, etc.  No joy.  However in retrospect, I recall the desktop going black during the veritas 18 install/upgrade. The install progress bar continued and it did complete successfully and the desktop came back.  Not sure if this was just black for some install reason or if it crashed the explorer shell.  After checking the Veritas System recover service, I will also try a reboot.  If the shell crashes it can restart but all tray notification icons do not always come back as I recall.  

EDIT NOTE:  However there has already been one reboot since the install so not sure this will fix it....

As far as the USB drive, what is the exact minimum space required?  I will just try another one or two tonight.  As I created the ISO rescue disc as that is all I could do, I also had a USB external drive plugged in as you are supposed to have all possible restore devices attached. Although I would never save it to that, it also did not display that drive if that is a clue.

Thanks,

bjbbjb

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB 

Click on the '?' (top right corner) when you get to the Destination screen on the create recovery disk wizard.

This will open up the help file and shows you some reasons why a USB drive is not supported. It may help.

@criley 

Thanks, I had already done that.  All I found was that it supported up to a very large size of USB drive and either NTFS or FAT32.  I did not see a minimum.

I plan to try a variety of USB drives over the next few days.  There must be some logic to this.

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB 

Can you share the following log as it may give some clues:

C:\ProgramData\Veritas\VERITAS SYSTEM RECOVERY\LOGS\SRDCreatorUI.log

@criley 

Thanks, I used a different USB drive and I was able to create a recovery drive.

As far as the SSR18 icon in the notification tray, no joy. Tried stopping and starting the service, no icon. Rebooted, turned the option setting on and off several times, it will just not come back. It was there with SSR16.  Frustrating as I cannot re-start a scheduled backup that did not complete for some reason.  Is there a log for scheduled backups? I have 2 scheduled 4 hours apart once a week, one for each physical drive. One of them lags a week behind the other for some reason even though the PC wakeup task says it is scheduled and the NAS is on. So, it does not run once in a while.

Any other ideas on the SSR icon?  I looked in notification icons in windows settings and veritas is there, but it is off and greyed out, cannot turn on.  See attached.

Veritas18.jpg

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB 

You should still be able to open up the main console and run a missed backup.

As for the tray icon, there seems to be a problem there. I would recommend a support case is opened for this. If this does not progress in the way you want, just let me know on this thread (provide case number).

I have a question on how to patch my base SSR 18 install and how to upgrade a second licensed PC still running 16.

If I am running an older versino of 18, can I just install the "System Recovery 18 Maintenance Release 4" versino 18.0.4 dated 9/2/19 on top of this?

And for my PC still running 16, what version of the multiple versions available under "base and upgrade installers" so I use?  The same file as above?

Thanks,

BJB

akihiro1
Employee

I introduce the easiest method not to fail.

1. To upgrade from version 16 to version 18 SP4 or to update from the older build for version 18 to version 18 SP4, please download "System_Recovery_18.0.4_57077_Multilingual_Product.zip" from "Base and upgrade installers" in the below URL. You can upgrade and update using this installer.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/downloads/detail.REL215901

2. Right-click System_Recovery_18.0.4_57077_Multilingual_Product.zip and press "unblock" button like Figure 1 in the below URL on a machine that you would like to upgrade or update to SP4.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100011953

3. Unzip System_Recovery_18.0.4_57077_Multilingual_Product.zip.

4. Confirm your machine has IP address for DNS server by a command "ipconfig /all" on a command prompt. If IP address for DNS server is not registered, please do it like Figure 5 in the below URL.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100046027

5. Double-click Browser.exe in the unzipped folder. If you experience the message “Some files used for the Veritas System Recovery installation are corrupt. Please use a valid media for installation.”, instead of Browser.exe, install using Setup.exe in SSR32 (for 32bit) or SSRx64 (for 64bit) folder like below.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100031615

6. After installation completes, please reboot your machine.

7. After rebooting, version 18 SP4 will be active on your machine. The existing backup jobs and backup histories are kept.

@akihiro1 ,

Wow, thanks!  Outstanding detailed instructions.  Quick question. If using English do I need multilingual version?

Thanks,

BJB

akihiro1
Employee

Yes. Even if you would like to use English, you need to download "System_Recovery_18.0.4_57077_Multilingual_Product.zip".

Thanks,