cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2010 backups to ESXi 4.0

vventura
Level 3

Hi,

I have one VM with System Recovery Manager Solution. I want to backup & convert 3 physical servers to an ESXi 4.0 server.

I have been able to create base restore points suscessfully from the 3 physical servers to a SMB share on the VM with Manager Solution.

Now, i can't schedule or convert maually these backups to ESXi host. If i create an scheduled task to do P2V from these restore points, it's shows me Error 1 in Altiris Agent on each physical server.

Any help in setting these tasks to work?

Is there any way of doing backup directly to ESXi host?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vventura
Level 3
Hi Albert,

Yes, that was my idea and i achieved it with those task i mentioned early.

I have fully automated p2v replication working correctly. In case of emergency i need only to power on virtual machine on esxi host, install vmware tools & configure network. It sounds like magic to me, and only paying Symantec Licenses.

For V2V replication on ESXi, you could use ghetto script. Backup of running virtual machines also.

I mark this thread as solved.

Thanks everyone for help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited
So, are you saying that you have tried BOTH of the following?

1. Create new task on the BESR-MS (Management Solution) server that does a conversion directly into the ESX server.
2. Run a one time virtual conversion on the client machine that converts directly into the ESX server.

Do you see any errors in the following log on the client machines?

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Logs\Backup Exec System Recovery.log.txt

vventura
Level 3
Hi,

Yes i tried both things.

There are some entries for the log. They are spanish,sorry.

From Manager Solution

3/02/2010 11:40:01 Alta prioridad Información: Información 6C8F1FAC: El trabajo de conversión, Conversion SrvSQL, ha comenzado. 0x00 (Backup Exec System Recovery)

23/02/2010 11:41:03 Alta prioridad Error: Error EC8F1F48: No se pudo completar el proceso de conversión 'Vmware VMDK'.
    Error EC8F1FDB: No es posible crear un disco virtual. La causa puede ser una de las siguientes:
- La ruta de destino no existe.
- Espacio libre en el disco insuficiente.
- Credencial o permisos no válidos en la ruta de destino.
- Errores de red.
Error EC8F1FDB: No es posible crear un disco virtual. La causa puede ser una de las siguientes:
- La ruta de destino no existe.
- Espacio libre en el disco insuficiente.
- Credencial o permisos no válidos en la ruta de destino.
- Errores de red. 0xEC8F1FDB (Backup Exec System Recovery)

From Client:

23/02/2010 11:45:11 Alta prioridad Información: Información 6C8F1FAC: El trabajo de conversión, Conversión virtual de SRVSQL, ha comenzado. 0x00 (Backup Exec System Recovery)

23/02/2010 11:45:24 Alta prioridad Error: Error EC8F1F48: No se pudo completar el proceso de conversión 'Vmware VMDK'.
        Error EC8F1F45: No se puede convertir el archivo de imagen.
        Error EBAB03EA: Error de aplicación interno: Violación de acceso a la memoria c0000005: La aplicación intentó escribir la memoria en 00000014.
Error EBAB03EA: Error de aplicación interno: Violación de acceso a la memoria %1: La aplicación intentó escribir la memoria en %2. 0xEBAB03EA (Backup Exec System Recovery)

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited
Do you have a licensed edition of ESXi? If not, it sounds as though you have run into the following issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/344968

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question ***

vventura
Level 3
Thanks Chris.

I'll look por VmWare ESXi  licenses price.

Anyway, its possible to do P2V to a local foler in VmWare Disk format and copy it to ESXi manually, isn`t it?

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, that's correct. You can use vmkfstools to do this. More info here:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/292971

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question ***

vventura
Level 3
Well,

I have done it succesfully manually.

Backup & conversion to vmdk with System Recovery. Copied with Veeam FastSCP to ESXi datastore, and then imported it with vmkfstools from SSH ESXi console. TheVM test from one restore point was working ok.

Now, i'm planning to schedule all jobs. When i try to set the schedule for P2V task, when i choose "Shared schedule" and try to edit it or add a new one, it appears a blank window and i can't select anything. Any tip?

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

vventura
Level 3

Hi again,

One question.

If i made a scheduled task to do P2V conversion to local destination of my physical servers it owerwrites previous conversion stored on that destination? It always return code 1 with no more messages on task.

Thanks!

Symanticus
Level 6

I've successfuly convert the back up image from the backed up file .SV2i into the ESXi it's all using VMware converter :)

vventura
Level 3

Well, thanks Albert, but i tried that too.

In fact i'm looking for a fully automatic backup system , without having to pay for vmware esxi license. If i'm not mistaken, vvmware converter doesn't allow to schedule tasks, isn't it?

I think i have suscesfully made a chain of scheduled tasks to leave virtual converison of my servers on esxi host.

1 - Scheduled restore points with BESR2010
2 - Scheduled p2v conversion with BESR2010
3 - Scheduled copy of p2v conversion with FastSCP
4 - Scheduled import of vmdk into ESXi with cron job on ESXi ssh console (vmkfstools)

Error 1 that i was talking about its solved now. The reason was i scheduled p2v conversions one time, and this task didn't refresh very well the actual restore points i had. With p2v conversion by destiny solved my problem.

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi VVentura,

from my understanding you'd like to perform automated / scheduled P2V machine replication ? from your physical server into ESXi 4 host as a VM right ? so in case of emergency, you can just directly turn on the backup as a VM in the ESXi 4 host ?

cmiiw ?

I also wanted to do the samething but so far i cannot do it automatically :| yes i can do it manually. For V2V replication I use 3rd party products which can supports Backup and Replication :-o) I found it working faster and just what I needed.

vventura
Level 3
Hi Albert,

Yes, that was my idea and i achieved it with those task i mentioned early.

I have fully automated p2v replication working correctly. In case of emergency i need only to power on virtual machine on esxi host, install vmware tools & configure network. It sounds like magic to me, and only paying Symantec Licenses.

For V2V replication on ESXi, you could use ghetto script. Backup of running virtual machines also.

I mark this thread as solved.

Thanks everyone for help.