cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2011 - Save a specified network file

Ohmega
Level 3

Hi,

I'm currently using Symantec System Recovery 2011 and I need to be able to backup a single file on a remote computer. For now, I'm only able to do that on a local computer or to backup a full remote computer. Is this because I am using a TRIAL license on my remote machine? Or it's just not possible? Please help me on that matter.

Thank you very much,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

So is it possible to instal the System Recovery 2011 on more then 5 computers because I have 20 by license?

If you have the licenses, then yes. It makes no difference if you install the full product or just the agent - they both require 1 license.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited

So it sounds as though you are trying to use the File & Folder backup option, right?

If yes, you can only configure these jobs when you are logged in locally to the machine you are backing up.

Ohmega
Level 3

Yes this was my exact question, thank you.

So there is no way for me to backup a specific file on a remote machine?

Regards

Edit : Since I can backup a specified file on a remote hard drive, can I instal the main application on every machine (7 computers) with my current license ? (Says 20 computers)

criley
Employee Accredited

Not when doing it remotely I'm afraid. You can only backup either the entire machine or certain volumes. File/Folder backups can only be done locally.

Edit : Since I can backup a specified file on a remote hard drive, can I instal the main application on every machine (7 computers) with my current license ? (Says 20 computers)

Not sure I understand this. You can't backup a specified file on a remote drive. Am I missing something here?

Ohmega
Level 3

Alright let me explain.

My question is : Since I can install the main application on my server and backup a specific file on a remote hard drive, can I install this application on a few other machine with my current license, that say 20 computers? If so, my problem would be solved.

criley
Employee Accredited

Still not sure what you mean; you cannot backup a file (using the file & folder backup method) of a remote machine.

As for your question about licenses; it depends on how many licenses you have!

Ohmega
Level 3

Hi,

I don't want to backup a file (using the file & folder backup method) of a remote machine since I can't. What I want is to backup a local file on a remote hard drive (this is possible, I tested myself). I have 5 licenses for a server edition, and the server edition is for 20 computers. So is it possible to instal the System Recovery 2011 on more then 5 computers because I have 20 by license? Or the 20 computers is only for computers that I connect to the application?

Thank's.

criley
Employee Accredited

So is it possible to instal the System Recovery 2011 on more then 5 computers because I have 20 by license?

If you have the licenses, then yes. It makes no difference if you install the full product or just the agent - they both require 1 license.

Ohmega
Level 3

Thank you very much for your help.

I will do some test but I don't think I'll have any problem by now.

Best regards and have a nice day

criley
Employee Accredited

No problem. Feel free to mark this thread as solved!

Ohmega
Level 3

Excuse me, I forgot one question.

When you say :

Are you talking about the same license? I mean, I have one license for the full application, is it the same license every where or I need a different license for every desktop computer that will backup on the server. My setup will be, for what I understand by now :

5x1 Server with the application

5x7 Desktop that will have the same application

I'm supposed to have 5 server licenses. Am I able to instal the software on my other computer with the same license that the server actually have? So I'll have 8 computers with the same one?

Thank you.

Ohmega
Level 3

Excuse me, I forgot one question.

When you say :

Are you talking about the same license? I mean, I have one license for the full application, is it the same license every where or I need a different license for every desktop computer that will backup on the server. My setup will be, for what I understand by now :

5x1 Server with the application

5x7 Desktop that will have the same application

I'm supposed to have 5 server licenses. Am I able to instal the software on my other computer with the same license that the server actually have? So I'll have 8 computers with the same one?

Thank you.