cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2011 for oracle 10g Server..

Parkar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Friends;

One of our customer requested to implement SSR 2011 as an image backup for application & database servers.

our POC was succesfull for some test application, Database servers & would like to know about database server which has oracle 10g.reference to SSR's SCL, the oracle 10g supports in Crash consistent backup only, since versions prior to 11g are not VSS compliant.

I would like to know more on Crash consistent backups for oracle 10g version & best Practice for the image backups?

Our customer agreed that they will use image incase of server hardware failure & then  restore the Database from regular backups.

Best Regards;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So do I get it right that you don't use SSR for the Oracle backups because 10g is not VSS aware ?

If this is right:

You'd run a normal server backup NOT stopping the Oracle DB using a pre backup command. This means that the server is not in conistent state until you restore the database from the regular backup.

However if you want conistent backups from this 10g thing you'd need to stop the oracle db useing a pre backup command and starting it after the backup with a post backup command.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So do I get it right that you don't use SSR for the Oracle backups because 10g is not VSS aware ?

If this is right:

You'd run a normal server backup NOT stopping the Oracle DB using a pre backup command. This means that the server is not in conistent state until you restore the database from the regular backup.

However if you want conistent backups from this 10g thing you'd need to stop the oracle db useing a pre backup command and starting it after the backup with a post backup command.

Parkar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you..

Yes, the purpose of implementing SSR2011 is to protect oracle server incase of Hardware or OS failure.

The Daily backups are exporting on Disk by DBA guys & then taking on Tapes. 

If OS fails we will Restore the latest Image from SSR & DBA guys will restore the Latest Backups.

Will you please elaborate the term "Crash consistent backups".

Regards;

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Crash consistent backup --> A backup equivalent to removing power from a system.

Parkar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Good!! any other advice on above Scenario..smiley

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, not from my side since we don't use Oracle, only MSSQL which is VSS aware. What more specific information are you looking for ?

Parkar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

About protection of Server with SSR 2011

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Can you be a little more specific please, which information do you exactly require ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you questions been already answered ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

May I ask you to mark this post as solved then ?

psj_symhelp
Level 4
Partner Accredited

hi

you have to use backup pre-post command to start and shutdown oracle database in the time of image backup.